Friday, September 4, 2015

There's a "Hero" in all of us!


"As I may be all-girl, all-woman, that doesn't mean I'm a shrinking violet or lessen my strengths, abilities, need for independence, or free thinking.  In fact, its the opposite, it develops the need deeper within.

I have goals and dreams, beyond falling in love with a man and settling down.  I don't mind having that but I also want more.  Unfortunately, the way my society dictates, my existence as a woman is entirely dependent on being a wife and mother.  But, maybe that's why my name is Hero, to be the change this world needs for all women-kind.

 A definition of Hero is as follows:

a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal

However, my world is turned upside down when I actually end up falling in love with Claudio.  I try to play it cool but after he leaves for battle, I realize my predicament.  I can only think of him, miss him, and realize now fully that part of my destiny is to be aligned with his life.

Upon his safe return, I am ready to stand by his side as wife and life partner, a giant step for a woman with my mindset, who was ready to defy convention and go against the grain of societal forces.

How do I understand this in myself? Well, as I explained to my cousin, Beatrice, its not something I fully understand myself, only that this power of love pulls me toward Claudio.  Furthermore, I feel so much that I know him and can trust that he will allow me to further pursue my ambitions and passions."


Hero is a character from the William Shakespeare's, "Much Ado About Nothing", of which scenes are used in my next production, "Shakespeare's Lovers", directed by Southern Oregon University students, Jonathan Pratt and Ceara Hayes.  The show opens October 4th, 8 pm at the Bellview Grange in Ashland, Oregon.



No comments:

Post a Comment