Thursday, September 3, 2015

Juliet & Her Romeo

In order to best connect to Miss Juliet Capulet, aged 14 at the time we meet her in Shakespeare's R&J, I looked back at my own times of young adventures into infatuation and love, that of my time with my former boyfriend and now friend, Will.

"I still remember that walk we took, remember it almost down to the last detail, the night we almost but not quite fell in love, two kids we were, young and fully alive walking the golden path.  We were astonishingly innocent of what lay beyond this night, in the days to come, when our love would shatter in the brightness of the sun, the disapproving eye of the world around.  Those days beyond when I tried to hide my feelings, my true self from this view, yet held too tightly onto you.

But, for that night alone, forever etched upon my memory,  I can walk the path we took, in footstep and in mind.  The words we shared are lost in time, however, the emotions we felt are as fresh as they were in that moment felt, the newness and excitement of budding love in all its mystery and grandeur.
At times, I wish I could revisit just to see you look at me once more, to feel your touch like that again, to have your eyes, not so distant, meet mine again.

To be in there with you again, hands clasped in each others, awaiting the longed-for approaching first kiss, like a Juliet and her Romeo we were, ill-fated but not for that night, for then we had forever and always."

This memory is a way to deepen my understanding and appreciation for my upcoming show, "Shakespeare's Lovers" directed by Jonathan Pratt and Ceara Hays.  I play many different characters including Juliet.  The show date is October 4th, 8 pm at the Bellview Grange in Ashland, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment