Saturday, September 26, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love




Act One, Scene Six

(Thomas and Ray are alone at the table.)

Thomas:

Women!

Ray:

What's that?

Thomas:

James doesn't know how good he's got it, is all.

Ray:

Well, yeah, but what's this about "women"?

Thomas:

My wife...ex-wife...she's a real piece of work.

Ray:

Yeah?

Thomas:

Totally all up in the church, totally brainwashed.

Ray:

I thought you were--

Thomas:

Not anymore, I left...

Ray:

Really? Wow.  Why?

Thomas:

I couldn't take it anymore, couldn't be true to myself...

Ray:

Fair enough.  So, who are you, then?

Thomas:

Not someone who wants to be married...at least...

Ray:

At least?

Thomas:

((under his breath) )

To women!

Ray:

( (leaning in, then breathing out) )

I heard that.  So, you on the other team?

Thomas:

Don't know, not sure...think so.

Ray:

Well, I'm here if you need anything.

(He leans in and takes Thomas' hand.)

Thomas:

Thanks...

(pause, Thomas looks at Ray)

You doing okay? With everything?

Ray:

Still strong enough for...

(leans in and whispers in Thomas' ear, pulls back with a wink.)

Thomas:

((coughing))

They should be back soon.  We should get going.

(He looks upstage, after a moment, turns and kisses Ray, then looks away.)

Lights fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment