Sunday, September 6, 2015

Shakespeare Speaks!

"Love can comment upon every woe."---The Bard

I picture myself as Hero here, shaking my head over my cousin, Beatrice's vain attempts at keeping herself from love.  At times, we all do that, trying to rationalize away our feelings in order to protect our hearts from hurt.  But, in the end, whether we allow the love in or strive to push it off, the hurt will inflict.  The difference is, whether we enjoy the benefits of our love along the way or not.  Love hurts but it doesn't have to necessarily end in heartbreak and farewell, but even when in does, trying to keep love away hurts more in the end, for we are left without the fond memories of love's delights.

"By heaven, I love thee better than myself."---The Bard

As in response to the last quote, admitting to yourself and to the one you love reaps an enormous amount of benefit than any possible embarrassment that comes in the process.  By being honest with ourselves and our feelings, we deepen our sense of self and strength as well as further develop our connection to those we love.  In the end, our overall satisfaction in life deepens to a level we would have never imagined before. 

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love is deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite."---The Bard

Lastly, admitting with an honest intensity the immense depth of your love for your beloved helps to maintain the security of the relationship, for both yourself and for the other.  In that security, trust is built, which brings about a depth of intimacy that further develops as the relationship continues.

So, The Bard had some good things to say, he wasn't just speaking prose and flowery language.  If we really listen as we read, the powerful truths of life and philosophy can reach out to us across the centuries.

These lines taken from my next production, "Shakespeare's Lovers" directed by Southern Oregon University students, Jonathan Pratt and Ceara Hays.




No comments:

Post a Comment