Friday, September 4, 2015

I'm Just Alice.



"Alice, the servant of Princess Katharine of France, in many ways like an older sister to her.  I am wiser, older, and more guarded but because of this and my position very often overlooked.  However, because of this, I know how best to wait patiently, to take my time, and watch, in a sense, I am the power behind the throne, at least for Kate, hopefully helping her to make the best decisions for her sake and that of France, even when that means aligning herself with the enemy, England, through an arranged marriage.

In many ways,  I am more militaristic than those I serve, even King Henry.  I have spent the majority of my life within the family of French royalty so my best interest is to maintain that position however subservient.  To ensure this, I also have to maintain their high position at court.  In this way, I keep my living situation, comfort, and form of authority.

To be truthful, I also hold great affection for Kate, rather I am in love with her.  Because of my position and society, I cannot reveal to her my feelings.  So, I watch as she is wooed by others, those who I jealously fear will take her far away from me, leaving me broken-hearted. "

Alice is a character from Henry V, of which I am playing in "Shakespeare's Lovers" directed by SOU students, Jonathan Pratt and Ceara Hayes.  The show opens October 4th, 8pm at the Bellview Grange in Ashland, Oregon.



No comments:

Post a Comment