Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Cafe-Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes & True Love



ACT I

Scene 1

Act One, Scene One Blank stage, with platform where cafe was. Deborah enters from stage right and walks around platform. She pulls book out of backpack, begins reading and walking around platform, deep in thought.

Deborah:

((reading) )

The light wraps you in its mortal flame. Abstracted pale mourner, standing that way against the old propellers of the twilight that revolves around you.

Speechless, my friend, alone in the loneliness of this hour of the dead and filled with the lives of fire, pure heir of the ruined day.

A bough of fruit falls from the sun on your dark garment. The great roots of night grow suddenly from your soul, and the things that hide in you come out again so that a blue and palled people your newly born, takes nourishment.

Oh magnificent and fecund and magnetic slave of the circle that moves in turn through black and gold: rise, lead and possess a creation so rich in life that its flowers perish and it is full of sadness.

(James entering from stage left, as if walking by, then suddenly stops to notice. He stares for a few minutes, waiting until she finishes)

James:

Kind of shocking, isn't it?

Deborah:

(turning)

James?

James:

(crossing to her upstage)

Yeah. How are you?

Deborah:

Good. Just got back into town.

James:

For a visit?

Deborah:

No, no. For good, this time. Maybe. You?

James:

Not sure. On my way through, maybe I'll stay.

Deborah:

What have you been up to, all these years? What has it been, six years?

James:

Yeah, I think so. Just...traveling.

Deborah:

Oh? Where to?

James:

Here and there.

(Deborah wanders around a bit.)

Got sick.

Deborah:

Oh yeah?

James:

Yeah, I had hookworm.

(Deborah stops and looks at him, suddenly.)

Yeah, then caught pneumonia, almost died.

Deborah:

(crossing to him)

Oh my god. You okay?

James:

Healing, you know. Its like Shaggy used to say, you remember?

Deborah:

Yeah, yeah I do.  Never give up the fight!  How is he by the way?

James:

I don't know, haven't seen him in awhile...

Deborah:

(turning to him)

I knew something was wrong, with you. I could feel it, I remember.

James:

Really?

Deborah:

I could feel you, when you were faraway, suddenly I'd, like, wake up from a dead sleep. We are connected, you know, cut from the same cloth, someone once said.

James:

That's right.

Deborah:

Not like I had a choice, really.

James:

So, you seeing anybody?

Deborah:

Not at the moment, no.

(looks around)

What are they going to put up here anyway?

James:

I heard some restaurant. I wonder what the restaurant next door thinks about that. Like we need another restaurant in this town.

Deborah:

Everyone needs to eat.

(after a moment)

So, you single?

James:

Yes, at present.

(They look at each other.)

Deborah:

Good. I mean, oh.

James:

Oh?

Deborah:

I didn't know what to say.

James:

I know, I get it.

Deborah:

You know, back in my home-town, it wasn't all that nice for me. I got sick too, I went through sort of a mental breakdown. Bipolar, they call me now.

James:

Sorry to hear that. I thought I had that, maybe I do. A lot of my friends have it, to some degree.

Deborah:

What do you do for it?

James:

For bipolar? Not sure if I do, but I wouldn't take any of those "pharmaceuticals!"

Deborah:

Why not? I do...

James:

Oh.

Deborah:

Oh?

James:

There are other ways, alternate ways.

Deborah:

Alternate ways?

James:

Medical marijuana. I believe in that.

Deborah:

Well, I don't know.

James:

Ever tried it.

Deborah:

Not in a very long time. Why do you think that works for you--

James:

Not think, know. And, have seen it with my friends. And, have seen documented evidence of how it helps people with bipolar and other such "issues."  And, what those "pharmaceuticals" really do to a person!

Deborah:

Oh.

James:

Oh?

Deborah:

Yeah, oh. I didn't know what to say.

James:

You see, the government, they give us these types of medicines to control us, to afflict our bodies with these chemicals, in order to bring upon our destruction. To dull our senses so we can't understand when they rise to power and take over--

Deborah:

You sound like Shaggy now!

James:

Well, maybe he was right.

Deborah:

Oh.

James:

Don't know what to say, huh?

Deborah:

Yeah, I guess. I just don't know what to think.

James:

We can talk about this more, if you'd like. Want to go somewhere?

Deborah:

Sure. Where are you staying?

James:

Um...with friends.

Deborah:

Oh.

James:

Keep saying that and your mouth will get stuck. Maybe good for me, that position.

Deborah:

What?

James:

Come on, let's go.

(Lights fade)

No comments:

Post a Comment