Sunday, September 6, 2015

What I'd Do For Love

I am Isabella, the sister of Claudio but also one committed to seeking to understand the spiritual realm.  I have begun the process of dedicating my life to the sisterhood, to become a bride of Christ as the saying goes.  In this, I commit my life to purity.

But, really, what choice do I have?

Claudio, my brother, is my best friend and the only family I have left in the world.  In a very real sense, he is my hero.  He is the one who cared for me all my life after our parents passed.  When as orphans, we were transferred to live with our begrudging aunt, our father's sister, and her family.  This family never fully accepted us but treated us as one step above servanthood and considered their responsibility to us as a mere duty.

When my brother met and fell in love with Juliet, our adopted family suddenly found him of more importance to them, as Juliet's family was one of wealth and social prominence.

Now that his fate is secured, it is time for me to branch out on my own and set purposely forward for my security.  My fate, then, sealed within the confines of the church.  But, this has not always been my desire.  Surely, I have a devotion to the things of the Lord but more than that I have always longed for the love and affection of a husband.  But, in today's society, a woman of my social position cannot hope for much more than what's she's given.

Thus, somewhat unhappily, I resign myself to my 'calling'.

Until I am approached by my brother in desperation, who is committed an act of treason, sexual intercourse before marriage, and is doomed to death by the government.

In this moment, the tables are turned and I am the one that needs to be the hero, for my brother.


Find out what happens on October 4th, 8 pm at the Bellview Grange as I play Isabella in "Shakespeare's Lovers" directed by Southern Oregon University students, Jonathan Pratt and Ceara Hays.

No comments:

Post a Comment