Monday, September 21, 2015

In This Town: Chapter Fifteen: I Will Remember You



Chapter Fifteen: I Will Remember You

Riley called off and on all weekend. I left the phone on silent and screened all my calls, as I sat amidst boxes organizing my apartment. I gave the majority of my furniture to Max and Janet. Although she didn't like me she as pleased to have it, Max was sad to see me leaving.

I had called and let Ken know to find another person for class on Monday, it would be easier that way to not have to face him or Riley, for that matter. I informed my landlady and she said she'd send me a check to the new address with the remainder of the rent.

I spoke to no one, save had dinner at my parents to celebrate my big move, but spent the weekend, sipping chardonnay, listening to Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan, and packing up my life.

On Monday morning, with my car all packed up with everything I really needed, I left the key in the landlady's box and slowly drove through town.

Later that day, perhaps after his class, Riley would come over. I'd left the door unlocked so he'd push it open, wander through the empty rooms, until he found a note in the bathroom,

“I'm sorry, Riley, you were wonderful but I just can't be who you want me to be. I'm off to follow my dreams, I hope the same for you, & I will never forget you, All the best, Anna.”

The early morning fog would blanket the town with an eerie stillness as I'd make my way over to the community college. Pulling into the faculty only parking lot, I'd sit in the car with my engine running until I'd see him. He'd park his car and get out, busying himself with his coffee cup, his bag, and assorted papers. I'd feel the urge to reach out, honk my horn, do something to make a connection but I'd sit frozen, waiting. Without knowing why, he'd turn in my direction. In a flash, he'd show recollection and smile, waving his hand slightly and nodding at me. I'd smile back, knowingly and taking all of him in with my gaze, in order to never forget.


Slowly, I'd pull out of the parking lot, as he turned and walked away. We'd see each other again, sooner or later, it didn't matter. The important thing is that we would both always remember.

I Will Remember You

(A footnote: This story is dedicated to my former love, mentor, and teacher, Joe D.)

No comments:

Post a Comment