Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



ACT TWO

(The lights rise on coffee shop, center stage. In the foreground, on stage right, we see the exterior of the coffee shop, a very small porch with a single table and two chairs, a railing for a staircase with a wheelchair ramp beside it. Through that we enter into the coffee shop, divided into two rooms, with a small partition between. On stage right is the main coffee shop room, with four tables with two sets of chairs, at the back of that room, a fire-place and a computer, before the time of wi-fi. On the right side is the counter with the espresso machine and registrar beside it. A tray of large freshly made muffins lays on this, visible to the audience. One table in the foreground, at the back of this room is an entrance to the kitchen. At rise, lights slowly come up on empty coffee shop. Matthew enters from the audience and the light follows him, the song plays, as he makes his entrance into work. He crosses right to front door of coffee shop, unlocks door, then enters. He crosses to kitchen and switches on musak. He begins silently preparing shop for day, taking chairs off tables, setting out muffins, turning on computer. The musak skips, Matthew walks towards kitchen, he jumps, and musak resumes. He walks back to where he was, the musak skips, he walks back towards kitchen, jumps, musak resumes. This goes on a couple more times. One beat.)

Matthew:

(He flips sign to open.)

Everyday the same.

(stops looks out the audience. He heads up to fire-place and begins preparations to start fire. His back is to the audience so he does not hear or see when Deborah enters a beat later.)

Deborah:

(waiting a minute, then)

Hello?

Matthew:

(turning)

Oh, sorry, didn't know you were there? Hi.

Deborah:

You work here?

Matthew:

Doesn't it look like it?

Deborah:

Kind of, yeah.

Matthew:

Can I get you something?

Deborah:

I hear you roast coffee here.

Matthew:

Yeah?

Deborah:

I was thinking of getting a pound of something. Or...

(She follows him left to counter.)

Matthew:

Okay, what do you want?

Deborah:

I don't know. Its for my room-mate. She drinks coffee, I don't. Really.

Matthew:

We'll have to break you of that.

(Their eyes meet, both laugh.)

Deborah:

Really? We'll see about that.

Matthew:

I can be very, convincing.

(They laugh again nervously.)

So, what'll it be?

Deborah:

What's your favorite?

Matthew:

Ah, yes. Well, I like moka java.

Deborah:

I'll have that one.

(He grabs a bag under counter and sets it on table.)

Thank you. I'm Deborah, by the way.

Matthew:

Nice to meet you, Deborah. I'm Matt.

Deborah:

Nice to meet you too.

(Their eyes meet.)

Matthew:

Um, that'll be 12.99, um, you get a free cup of coffee with that, want it?

Deborah:

Well, I don't know.

Matthew:

This could be the start of something new.

Deborah:

You're determined to make me a coffee drinker!

Matthew:

Well, I'm a barista, it's kind of my job!

Deborah:

Is this all you're determined to do?

Matthew:

Maybe, Maybe not.

Deborah:

(after a moment)

I'm going to need it. Heading home for the holidays, right now.

Matthew:

Oh.

(He pours her a cup, in a to go cup and rings up transaction)

Deborah:

So, what are you doing for Christmas?

Matthew:

Well, I have to open here, but then, not much. I'll just be around town. Parents live close by.

Deborah:

Oh, you a townie?

Matthew:

You one of those students?

Deborah:

Maybe I am.

Matthew:

Deborah.

Deborah:

(confused)

Oh, right. Here.

(She hands him a twenty dollar bill and while he gets change, pulls a pen out of her purse)

I'm driving over the pass, do you think it'll snow?

Matthew:

Oh, definitely. Its going to snow buckets tonight.

Deborah:

Do you think I need chains?

Matthew:

Yeah, be good to pick them up. 8 dollars is your change.

(She takes it, in one hand, puts in her pocket, then reaches for his hand again.)

What's this?

Deborah:

(holding out pen)

May I? If you get bored over the holidays, call me. I'll be back in four days.

(writes number on hand.)

Matthew:

Okay, I'll do that.

Deborah:

Talk to you later?

Matthew:

Yeah. Bye for now.

Deborah:

Bye.

(she exits.)

No comments:

Post a Comment