Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Two, Scene Two

One pool of light downstage left, Matthew stands inside of it, looking at phone and then at hand, then back at phone. This interchange goes on for a few minutes. Lights up on right stage of stage, opposite to Matthew, Deborah sits in chair, holding phone, expectantly. After a few minutes, her phone rings.

Deborah:

Hello?

(nothing)

Hello? Hello?

(begins to hang up)

Matthew:

Deborah? Can you hear me? Its me, Matt, from the cafe.

Deborah:

Oh, hi.

Matthew:

Hi.

Deborah:

I wasn't sure if you would call.

Matthew:

Well, I did. So--

Deborah:

So---

Matthew:

Um?

Deborah:

How was your Christmas?

Matthew:

Not too shabby, after all. Hung out with the parents, got high with my bro.  Nothing major.  But, it was pretty good after all.

Deborah:

Nice. What'd you get? Anything good?

Matthew:

Oh, you know, some practical gifts and some good stuff too.

Deborah:

Like?

Matthew:

Oh, you know the obligatory new clothes. New sweaters, socks my mom picked out so its all real "cool", and I mean that in quotations. But got some time to work on my bike--

Deborah:

Your bike?

Matthew:

Yeah, my bike. My motorcycle. Oh, I didn't tell you about that.

Deborah:

No.

Matthew:

Oh, yeah. I've ridden motorcycles for years.  Back in high school, I used to do motorcross.

Deborah:

Wow, why'd you stop?

Matthew:

Got injured.  But, I still ride.

Deborah:

I've never ridden one.

Matthew:

Well, we'll have to remedy that.

Deborah:

First coffee, now motorcycles. What am I getting myself into?

Matthew:

You'll see. Do I scare you?

Deborah:

Not really.

Matthew:

Do you want me to?

Deborah:

Wait, let me think about it...no, I don't think so.

Matthew:

Okay, then. Yeah, I'll take you out for a ride sometime, when you get back.

Deborah:

That sounds great. I'd like that. I really would.

Matthew:

So, your Christmas?

Deborah:

Oh, all right. Mom and dad fought but that's nothing new. But, Christmas morning was nice. I mean, the champagne made everyone happy, you know. And, like you, I got some good things and some "practical things", and I mean that in quotations.

Matthew:

Right. When you coming back?

Deborah:

Tomorrow.

Matthew:

Okay, good.

Deborah:

Do I hear a hint of excitement in your tone?

Matthew:

Maybe. And you, you excited?

Deborah:

To see you?

Matthew:

Yeah.

Deborah:

So what if I am?

Matthew:

What if.

Deborah:

You're not, um---

Matthew:

Attached?

Deborah:

Yeah, that.

Matthew:

No, I'm unattached. I mean, I was for awhile but that ended. Badly. You?

Deborah:

Oh, don't get me started on my ex.

Matthew:

Okay, then. I won't.

Deborah:

Thanks.

Matthew:

So, you a student or--

Deborah:

I just graduated so, you know, trying to figure out 'the next step'.

Matthew:

Work?

Deborah:

Right now at a preschool. Its fun, the kids are cute.  Don't know if I want to do it forever.  Parents think I should go into teaching but--

Matthew:

Ah, preschool kids.  You know, you should try kicking them, they bounce.

Deborah:

What?

(laughs. yawns)

Matthew:

Tired?

Deborah:

A little.

Matthew:

Me too.

Deborah:

You opening tomorrow?

Matthew:

No, closing so I can sleep in.

Deborah:

Okay, good.

Matthew:

What?

Deborah:

Um...nothing.

Matthew:

I'll see you, then, soon.

Deborah:

Yes. Um...

Matthew:

What?

Deborah:

I'm just not ready to--

Matthew:

Hang up. Me too.

Deborah:

But, if we do, the sooner we get to sleep, the sooner we wake up, and then, you know.

Matthew:

Yeah, I know. Okay, then. Drive safe, Deborah, and be well.

Deborah:

You too. And, good night. You going to hang up?

Matthew:

I will if you will.

Deborah:

Okay, then.

Matthew:

Okay. Night, night.

(moment)

You still there?

Deborah:

Yeah?

(They laugh.)

(Lights out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment