Saturday, September 5, 2015

In Search of the Dream

"Poor Lady, she were better love a dream."---William Shakespeare

Here I am, Hero, realizing what love truly is, a give and take compromise and hard work when it comes down to it, not the fairy-tale romance I once longed for.  There I see my cousin, Beatrice, fighting against this dreaded truth that she indeed loves Benedick.  The longer she fights against it, the harder her life becomes as she desires only a perfect human that is non-existent in this world.

I see now that loving someone is not merely built on fantasy, but on loving them for all their faults and flaws.

But, then when I think of who I am, in spite of my love for Claudio, imperfect that he is, I realize that in order to be true to myself, I must never give up loving that dream, however far-fetched, and that that is what makes life worth living.

"Straight on kisses' dream."---William Shakespeare

These lines are excerpts from my upcoming production of "Shakespeare's Lovers" opening October 4th, 8 pm at the Bellview Grange in Ashland, Oregon.  The show is directed by Southern Oregon University students, Jonathan Pratt and Ceara Hays.

No comments:

Post a Comment