Thursday, September 24, 2015

Cafe-Girl: The Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Two, Scene Three

( (Down stage left, there is a small "apartment" set up for Matthew, with Maggie and Shaggy, all sit drinking beers. Behind them, in semi-darkness, the platform is set up as James and Deborah's future apartment.))


Matthew:

Yeah, Ray, well, he's still up at the commune, living well, I guess. Thomas goes to see him, which is, interesting. And, Thomas got married, had a kid, divorced. Now, he's with another girl, I think this is the third marriage he's had.

Shaggy:

And, what about James?

Maggie:

He and Deborah, you know, she's back in town. They moved in together, have an apartment over on B Street, got engaged even, as far as I know, its going well.

(Lights up on platform, where James and Deborah's apartment is set up. Downstage left on platform, there is a single bed, upstage of that, living room area,where the counter was, to the right of that is the kitchen, directly behind that, is the door to the bathroom, the front door is down right of kitchen. Lights up on James in kitchen, as the lights come up we hear a crash, as if a dish has been broken, Deborah enters kitchen.)

Deborah:

James? Oh my god!

James:

Why don't you do the dishes? The sink is too full, I can't even find my dish in there.

Deborah:

So get another one out of the cupboard---

James:

That's wasteful, can't you be more practical?

Deborah:

James, please calm down, please. Those aren't just my dishes...

(James punches wall.)

I can't do everything--

(James hits wall again, picks up dish from dishrack)

James:

Look at this, does this look clean to you?

Deborah:

Yeah...

James:

(turns it over)

Look at this spot, Deborah, PAY ATTENTION!

Deborah:

James...

(James throws plate on ground)

((Lights up on down stage left, in Matthew's apartment))


Maggie:

Its kind of cool, really. How they met at "End of the Universe", fell in love, didn't work out, but then found each other again many years later...its so romantic, like a fairy-tale.

((Lights fade out on them and in on James and Deborah, sitting in the living room, having dinner.))


James:

This isn't cooked all the way.

Deborah:

I cooked it for over an hour.

James:

Its not done. What are you trying to poison me? What are you trying to kill me? You're trying to kill me, aren't you?

Deborah:

No, James, of course not.

James:

(leaning over her)

What do I have to do to get you to pay attention?

Deborah:

Who...are...you?

James:

(getting up)

I have to get out of here, for my own safety. Do you hear that buzzing? In the apartment? Its bugged, I know it is. They are listening to us.

Deborah:

What...Who is?

James:

I know its there. I can sense these things on a higher plane than others.

Deborah:

James, you're...paranoid. No one--

James:

You are one of them, aren't you?

Deborah:

No, no, James, I'm not.

(James starts throwing things in a blind rage, picks up coffee table throws it, dishes from dinner shatter)

JAMES!!

James:

(mostly to himself)

Got to get out of here, for my own safety.

(holds head)

The buzzing, its in my head. I knew they got to me years back, in New Orleans, stuck a metal recording device in my head.

Deborah:

New Orleans, what?

James:

A few years back, we lived there, me and the first wife.  And, they found me there, got a hold of me, followed me everywhere, the black helicopters, drugged me, used me for...experiments.  Ahhhhhh!  Got to get out of here!

(heads toward door, Deborah runs and stands in the way)

Get out of my way.

(She shakes her head.)

Deborah:

No, you can't leave. You're not safe---

James:

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

(He pushes her to the ground.)

Bye, Bitch!

(runs off stage right.)

(Black out)

No comments:

Post a Comment