Thursday, October 1, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love


Act Two, Scene Three


Lights show the end of the day, early evening as the rise on cafe. Matthew is busy closing up shop, putting chairs up on tables, vacuuming (miming with real vacuum but silent, the audience will get the idea, one beat and Deborah enters, knocking on the door. Matthew doesn't hear for a moment, so she knocks louder, yelling his name over the din. Then finally she enters, crosses to him, touches him on the shoulder. He turns, startled.

Deborah:

Hi.

Matthew:

Good to see you!

Deborah:

(entering, looking around)

Closing for the day?

Matthew:

Doesn't it look like it?

Deborah:

Need any help?

Matthew:

No. But thank you. I just need to put this away.

(gestures towards vacuum)

And, then how about a walk?

Deborah:

It looks like snow?

Matthew:

First snows are the best times for walks.

(He smiles, she returns the smile)

Let me just--

(He moves to vacuum, placed where ever the director wants him, makes a show of rolling up cord, and dragging vacuum cleaner up stage to kitchen, exits, Deborah looks around, then Matthew re-enters).

All ready?

Deborah:

Yeah. Its so cozy here.

Matthew:

Yeah, I like it too. Its just a shame that--

Deborah:

What?

Matthew:

Business is slow, is all.

(She nods understandingly)

Ready? I know a great place.

Deborah:

Okay.

(They exit through door, Matthew locks it, lights fade on coffee shop as they slowly cross left across stage.)

Just beginning to snow. Its so beautiful.

(Does a ballet-type spin, stops, embarrassed.)

Sorry.

Matthew:

Why?

Deborah:

I just...

Matthew:

It was beautiful.

(She pulls coat closer to her, sticks hands in pockets, no gloves, pulls up hood.)

Hands cold?

(takes gloves out of his pocket.)

Hear, have mine.

Deborah:

But you need them....

(he pushes them towards her)....

Matthew:

Please, I insist. I'm used to it anyway.

Deborah:

Wait, I have a better idea.

(She hands him one, they put gloves on free hands and hold the bare hands, begin walk.)

Matthew:

Wow. Good plan.

Deborah:

You were telling me, on the phone, about your last girl-friend?

Matthew:

Yeah. Not much more to say. She cheated on me, with the whole town, you know. Girls and guys. So, its just messed up. I had the engagement ring ready and everything.

(He takes a few steps in front of her then turns)

You?

Deborah:

Me?

Matthew:

Your ex?

Deborah:

Oh, he was a real slob, drank too much, smoked too much, never completed anything. Lived with me without paying rent or anything...a big mooch. Lame.

Matthew:

Yeah. Looks like we've both been through the ringer!

(They walk a little.)

Deborah:

Yeah.

(They walk in silence. She pulls out hand, turns away.)

Kind of makes you wonder why you do it.

Matthew:

(He takes her hand in his, looks at her.)

It'll be all right. This time.

Deborah:

How do you know?

Matthew:

( He studies her, shakes his head.)

Because, you're all right, yourself, Debi.

Deborah:

Eh, don't call me that. I like Deborah, or even, Deb.

Matthew:

Well, then you're all right, yourself, Deborah.

(thinks)

What about Rah?

Deborah:

What about what?

Matthew:

DeboRAH!

Deborah:

(laughs)

What should I call you then, Hew? Or?

Matthew:

Just Matt. My mom calls me Matthew when she's mad at me.

(mimics mom)

Matthew William Downey!

(They both laugh.)

Deborah:

Sounds familiar!

(mimics mom)

Deborah Ruth Seller!

(silence.)

Where are we going?

Matthew:

You'll see. But, first a little detour, okay?

Deborah:

Do I have a choice?

(laughs)

Matthew:

Sure, you always have a choice, Deborah.

(Matthew crosses downstage center, where stands statue of a donkey.)

Few years ago, my friends and I randomly discovered this. Don't know who made it or even why its here? But, anyways, we started "feeding" it.

Deborah:

What?

Matthew:

It likes this, five nickels. Only five nickels.

Deborah:

Why "five nickels"?

Matthew:

See, they fit perfectly in his mouth. Look.

(He inserts nickels and gestures to them.)

Deborah:

Yeah, I see. So, five nickels?

Matthew:

Yep, five nickels!

Deborah:

Not quarters, pennies, dimes?

Matthew:

No, five nickels, only five nickels. Mr. Donkey here knows what he likes.

(They both laugh, grab hands, continue walking.)

Matthew:

So, you mentioned you finished school? Congratulations!

Deborah:

Thank you.

Matthew:

So, what's next?

Deborah:

Not sure yet. I mean, maybe more school to get a real degree. Seems like nowadays a bachelors doesn't mean much. A professor told me a bachelors is like a high school diploma these days...so what did I just do with four, no, five years of my life? I don't know. I don't want to live my life doing the 9-5, you know, going to work, coming home, paying the bills, feeding the kids, the house, the car. It all seems so pointless. There must be something more, you know?

Matthew:

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Deborah:

What do you want to do?

Matthew:

I don't know yet.

Deborah:

Work in the coffee shop?

Matthew:

Probably not.

(after a moment)

My parents want me to go into the family business, but I don't know. Thought about being a pilot once.

Deborah:

Really?

Matthew:

Yeah, took some lessons just had to finish the final before I got my initial license.

Deborah:

Can you fly?

Matthew:

Sort of. I'll take you up sometime, anywhere you want to go.

Deborah:

Anywhere? I've always wanted to go to Mexico.

Matthew:

Then, we'll go.

Deborah:

Right on! But seriously, you should just do what you love. That's what everyone says, do what you love.

Matthew:

Yeah, what do you love?

(She looks at him, smiles.)

Deborah:

Dancing, yeah. I love it. Unfortunately, according to my parents, you can't make money at that. But, I don't know, I just...when I dance, I feel free. Guess that's why I love it.

(Silence.)

So, where are we going?

Matthew:

Almost there, just a little climb.

(They walk hand in hand down stage left, there can be a small boulder big enough for them to stand on together to show overlook.)

Matthew:

This is what I wanted to show you.

Deborah:

(staring, transfixed.)

Its so beautiful.

Matthew:

Right?

(They stare together in silence.)

Deborah:

Thank you, for bringing me here.

(She turns to him and he to her. They look into each others eyes for a moment, then slowly, awkwardly lean in, and kiss.)

I think this is the start of a very special relationship.

(They kiss again, lights fade.)

Deborah:

(in blackout)

Once upon a time we all walked on the golden road. It was a fair highway, through the Land of Lost Delight; shadow and sunshine were blessedly mingled, and every turn and dip revealed a fresh charm and a new loveliness to eager hearts and unspoiled eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment