Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love


Act One, Scene Eleven

(Single spotlights, Deborah downstage center, in chair, reading letter, Matthew upstage left speaking letter. While he reads, James, Ray, Shaggy, and Thomas dissemble cafe behind them.)

Matthew:

Dear Deborah, Not much going on here, really, but there have been a few changes. Ray left, up north, is now living in some hippie commune, good for him. He's still taking his meds and stuff. Thomas moved back to his home-town too, met some girl, and shacked up with her, I think, and they moved to, like, North Dakota. Had a kid or something. He's been calling me, all miserable and stuff. Gawd, am I going to have to go on a rescue mission?

(laughs)

Shaggy, did take that internship with NASA, remember how he used to rail on about the federal government and NASA, and he's gone back to school up north, getting his degree in computer science. Life is funny, like that. James is MIA, since you left. He just took off and no one knows where. And, the cafe, well, you were right, I guess you are a prophetess. It closed, you know that, I told you. But, more than that, they, the city, tore the whole building down, completely. Nothing left. Going to put in a fancy condiminion or something like that, some fancy tourist attraction. City improvement at its finest. What's my town coming to? And, me. Well, I got a new job at a restaurant. And, I'm thinking about going back to school or something.  Maybe getting my pilot's license after all. Well, I hope all is well with you at school. I got to get to work so I'll end this. Be well, Deborah. Much love, Matt.

(Single spotlights fade in on James, upstage right, Thomas, Ray, and Shaggy up on bare platform where cafe was)

James:

the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it

Deborah:

We may long have left the golden road behind, but its memories are the dearest of our eternal possessions.

(Black out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment