Saturday, October 10, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love


Act Two, Scene Eight

(James sits alone, on patio, sipping a cup of coffee. Deborah enters.)

Deborah:

James, hello.

James:

Hi.

Deborah:

(sitting)

You okay?

James:

Sort of, just thinking about some stuff Shaggy was talking about--

Deborah:

What about?

James:

Toxins in the environment, the air, the food we eat. Like they're out to get us..

Deborah:

James, you can't let this get you down--

James:

What am I supposed to do? Fight? But how?

Deborah:

(reaches across table and taking his hand)

I don't know but there's got to be away.

James:

(taking her hand)

Yeah, there's got to be some way.

(Their eyes meet.)

Do you want to get out of here, take a walk?

Deborah:

Sure.

(They get up and slowly walk downstage, holding hands.)

This feels nice.

James:

Yeah, comfortable.

(They walk in silence. Approach donkey)

You got any nickels?

Deborah:

Oh, god, yeah.

(They both pull wallet out of pants/purse and count out change. They cross to donkey.)

Deborah:

How did this get started anyway?

James:

I don't know, Shaggy and Matthew found it first, then took us all here. Its been a thing ever since.

Deborah:

Our thing!

(James laughs, finishes "feeding the donkey", then turns to Deborah. They share a moment.)

James:

Why do I feel so comfortable? With you?

Deborah:

I don't know, its just what is, I guess.

James:

Yeah, what is. But, I feel like I could tell you anything, like I've known you before we met.

Deborah:

Yeah, I feel the same.

James:

Thanks for, being there.

Deborah:

No problem.

(They kiss, she pulls away.)

I'm sorry...

James:

I'm not.

Deborah:

But Matt...

James:

He'll understand, I think he saw this happening anyway.

Deborah:

Really? I didn't think...

James:

I know.  It'll be okay now.

Deborah:

I'm just so overwhelmed.  How can I be feeling this? Just snuck up on me.  I like Matt, I think I love him, in away.  But then you are there...I feel like I need you but don't need you.  Its not a basic need for living, but a need of the...the heart.  Its like that line from Shakespeare I love so much..."My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite."

James:

Its more than just fire, bells, and whistles. It just is.

Deborah:

Like Wuthering Heights!

James:

Oh, yeah right, you were saying the other day. What about it?

Deborah:

I've always felt, well, that's always been one of my favorite books. And, now I kind of feel like I'm living it, sort of. You know that line, "if all else fails and he survives, I should still continue to be."

James:

Right. So, I'm Heathcliff and you are Catherine?

Deborah:

Yeah, something like that.

James:

So, you going to die and I'm going to go on, somehow?

(They both laugh.)

Deborah:

But, seriously, do you believe in destiny? Fate?

James:

Yeah, definitely.

Deborah:

What's the difference or are they the same thing?

James:

Fate is...the journey, destiny is the final destination, as it were.

Deborah:

Like fate is the people and events that get you where you are going, to your destiny?

James:

Yeah, something like that.

Deborah:

I'll buy that.

James:

(taking her hand)

I can see that we are cut from the same cloth.

(He kisses her hand. Lights fade in on Shaggy, stopping Matthew as he heads to patio with coffee.)

Shaggy:

I met someone.

Matthew:

Really?

Shaggy:

Her name's Ashlynn. So beautiful. I think she could be, you know, the one.

Matthew:

Really? That serious?

Shaggy:

Well, I mean, I just met her. But, I got a good feeling about this one.

Matthew:

Congrats, man. When do I get to meet her?

Shaggy:

Oh well, we'll see.

(They both laugh.)

Deborah:

I love you, James.

James:

I love you too, Deborah.

(They lean in and kiss.)

(lights fade out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment