Monday, October 5, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Two, Scene Five

Interior: cafe: As lights rise, all the boys are hovered over computer, where Shaggy sits. Deborah enters, watches for a moment then speaks.

Deborah:

Can I get some service here?

They all turn and come down stage, Matthew kisses her.

Matthew:

Get you anything?

Deborah:

Yeah, cappuccino, maybe?

She hands him some cash, he smiles and kisses her and exits towards counter to make her espresso drink.

So, what are you all doing around the computer? Looked conspiratorial?

Ray:

You don't know the half of it!

They all gather around center table, holding coffee cups.

Deborah:

Okay, now I'm interested.

Ray:

Shaggy was just showing some of his "research".

Shaggy:

You don't really believe, do you?

Ray:

Sounds a bit fishy? Sometimes I wonder if conspiracy theorists aren't closely related to evangelists! You sure, you and Thomas aren't distant cousins or something?

Shaggy:

What's that supposed to mean?

Thomas:

Yeah, what's that supposed to mean?

Ray:

You know how you both feel like you found "the truth" and you think that's the only way, that's how it is, and you insist that everyone has to believe or, I don't know, die.

Thomas:

That's not what I'm saying---

Ray:

Its just that everyone believes what they want to believe, what's true to them, right? And, why must it be this struggle between ourselves? You know, in the words of Rodney King, why can't we all just get along?

Thomas:

Its not like I'm not.  I'm just trying to help...

Ray:

I know, Thomas.  We all know.

Deborah:

So, your research, Shaggy?

Shaggy:

You sure you want to hear it? You want to be proseltyzed?

Deborah:

I've done the church thing before, so maybe I oughta try this.

Thomas:

You go to church too!

Deborah:

Not really, just with my family, you know, when the grandparents visit.

Thomas:

Really? What'd you think?

Ray:

God, Thomas, never thought you'd be one of those types, a CIA!

Thomas:

CIA?

Shaggy and James:

CIA?

Ray:

Yeah, Christian In Action!

Shaggy:

Back to my discoveries, if you may. See, Deborah, its all ties back to the Illumati or the Rothschilds, an elite banking family that rose to power in the turn of the first century and quickly began spreading out its branches into all sorts of different aspects of society, mainly, the major world governments. Yes, including the CIA, not like Thomas though. They founded the federal reserve after they constructed the crash of the stock market that brought about the great depression, they offered the way out, the president accepted, well, he had no choice, really. They constructed evidence against him to destroy him, if he didn't. He had to comply. Since then, the presidency is just puppetry and pagentry, a cover for the Illumati, the real power in control.

Deborah:

Wait a minute, you believe all this?

Shaggy:

Well, not believe, know. The evidence is clear.

Deborah:

Okay...

Shaggy:

If I may continue...Since then, they've been working behind the scenes, orchestrating world events to bring about the downfall of the masses and their eventual reign. Like 9-11--

Thomas:

9-11?

Shaggy:

Yeah, it was an inside job. You want to see?

He gets up and heads back towards computer. Thomas and Ray follow, reluctantly. James sits, staring into space, motionless.

Deborah:

You okay, James?

He looks up.

James:

Just thinking.

Deborah:

About?

James:

It just brings back, flashbacks, I guess.

Deborah:

Flashbacks?

James:

When I lived in New Orleans---

Deborah:

Really? When was that?

James:

My first wife and I lived there for awhile, I got a job there. About two years ago.

Deborah:

Oh, okay.

James:

And, there was an office of the CIA set up in that town.

Deborah:

Really? Christians in Action?

James:

No. Do you know about them? Shaggy didn't even touch them. They conduct experiments on the general public, mind control. I have proof, they did it to me.

Deborah:

What?

James:

It started simply. I noticed blue cars, always blue, unmarked, following me wherever I went. Then, I started having dreams but they weren't dreams, you know, I don't think so. I was in some sort of room, on an examination table, and they inserted something in my brain. Since then, I've had this terrible ringing. My ex-wife, she woke up one morning with a bloody nose, metallic object fell out of it. Then, she started saying that never happened. And, then she started telling my friends she wanted to have me committed. That's when she went to "their side."

Deborah:

What? James, are you okay?

James shakes himself.

James:

Yeah. Sorry, flashbacks.

Deborah:

Have you told anyone about this? A doctor?

James:

Who would believe me? They'd lock me up, call it "schizophrenia." Just to hide it.

Deborah:

But you can't keep this inside--

James:

Who can I tell?

Deborah:

Well, to start with, me. I'll listen. I'll try to help.

James:

Really? What if---

Deborah:

What if, what?

James:

Well, you and Matt--

Deborah:

Well, I'm your friend.

James:

You are so sweet. Thank you.

He reaches for her hand, she takes it as lights fade out.

No comments:

Post a Comment