Thursday, October 15, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Three, Scene Two

(As she talks, all five of the boys appears behind her, as they say their line. When she speaks, each boy takes turn arranging the coffee shop and disassembing the apartment on the platform.)

Deborah:

So, what's the story about? A story of...of what...too much caffeine?

Thomas:

Seen you at the coffee shop, sometimes, Deborah.

Deborah:

Of the Golden Road? Of Youth?

Ray:

King of the lawn gnomes, they call me.

Deborah:

How does the story end? A story of a journey? Of friendship?

Matthew:

First snows are the best times for walks.

Deborah:

A story of regrets? A story of the search for true love?

James:

I'll meet you in my dreams tonight.

Deborah:

A story of pain, or strength?

Matthew:

You're all right, yourself, Deborah.

Deborah:

A story of hope, or nothing?

Matthew:

Live your life, Deborah, and be happy, no matter what, be that.

Deborah:

A story of truth?

Shaggy:

Never give up the fight.

Deborah:

A story of forgiveness, of letting go? a story of redemption? "I started going to a coffee shop recently, never thought I'd be a cafe girl, you know, but I always wanted to be....I just wish there was some book, something to explain and help navigate. I just wish it didn't hurt so bad. Endings."

James:

When I look into your eyes, I see the reflection of my own soul.

All boys:

One of us, one of us, one of us.

(As the boys chant, Deborah crosses downstage to donkey and feeds the donkey, as she speaks the boys stop.)

Deborah:

A story of love.



(Black out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment