Thursday, October 8, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Two, Scene Eight

Loud dance music, lights fade into bar on stage right, Maggie and Deborah enter, all dressed up, breathless, lean against the bar.

Maggie:

(yelling, as music fades)

Can I get you anything?

Deborah:

(laughing)

You don't have to yell.

Maggie:

Sorry.  Get you anything?

Deborah:

Um, I'd love a long island.

Maggie:

Wow, girl.  You like your liquor!

Deborah:

Well, its a celebration!  Girls' Night!

Maggie:

Then I'll have one too.

(turns towards bar, notices Thomas, working behind bar, few feet away.)

Shit, look whose working tonight.

(Deborah notices.)

Deborah:

I've got this.

(Maggie hands her the money.)

Maggie:

Thanks.

(Thomas crosses down to them.)

Deborah:

Hey, Thomas.

Thomas:

Hi! How are you?

Deborah:

All right.  I didn't know you worked here.

Thomas:

Just started last week.

Deborah:

Awesome.  You like it?

Thomas:

It pays the bills.  The church isn't a big fan of it, but you know, my life. Get you anything?

Deborah:

Two long islands?

(He takes money, starts making drinks.)

Glad you're doing well.

Thomas:

Yeah, thanks.

(sets drinks on counter.)

How are you and Matt? He here?

Deborah:

No, girls' night.

(starts to motion towards Maggie then stops.)

See ya!

(She turns with drinks and she and Maggie head to table down from bar, they sit.)

Wow, close one.

Maggie:

Did he notice me?

Deborah:

I don't think so.

Maggie:

Did he say anything?

Deborah:

Not much.  Oh, just that the church doesn't really like him working here much.

Maggie:

Oh, that.  Always "the church".

Deborah:

How did he..I mean, why Mormonism?

Maggie:

His family. He was raised that way.

Deborah:

So, have you talked to him?

Maggie:

What's there to say?

Deborah:

I don't know, just closure, I guess.

Maggie:

Huh.  Isn't this supposed to be a girls' night?

Deborah:

Yeah, sorry.

(They both drink and look around.)

Besides, there's lots of fish in the sea.

(They both laugh)

Maggie:

I've been thinking of moving anyway.  For school.

Deborah:

Oh yeah, where at?

Maggie:

California, most likely. I'm thinking of getting a masters in education.

Deborah:

So you'll be a teacher?

Maggie:

Yeah. Help corrupt the next generation! You inspired me!

(They both laugh.)

Deborah:

Matthew always tells me to kick the kids.  He says 'kick them, they bounce.'

(They both laugh)

Maggie:

So, how are you two?

Deborah:

We're good, I guess.

Maggie:

Uh oh.  What's that supposed to mean?

Deborah:

Well, there's lots of fish in the sea...

Maggie:

And?

Deborah:

I'm starting to like someone else, is all.

Maggie:

Who? Do I know him?

Deborah:

Yeah, I think so...

Maggie:

Who is it?

Deborah:

(hesitating)

James...

Maggie:

Oh no.

Deborah:

Why?

Maggie:

Well...he's a dark one, that one.

Deborah:

Yeah, I guess that's why I like him.  Mysterious.

Maggie:

Yeah well. Runs hot and cold, is all.

Deborah:

How do you mean?

Maggie:

He and I had a thing, for a bit. He was all into it and then he wasn't.

Deborah:

Did you ever find out why?

Maggie:

No, he would never say.  It was just over. Kind of broke my heart, you know.

Deborah:

Oh, I'm sorry. I really am.

Maggie:

It's okay.  It was awhile ago, before me and Thomas. Thomas helped me get over him actually.

Deborah:

I see.  I don't know where this is coming from, this thing with James.  I just feel drawn to him, more and more. It just happened.

Maggie:

Just happened? Have you done anything? Told him? Matt?

Deborah:

Not really. I don't know what to do, confused.

Maggie:

Ain't love grand? Sometimes you fall in love at first sight, sometimes it takes awhile, right?

(Lights fade.)

No comments:

Post a Comment