Monday, October 12, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love


Falling In Love at a Coffee Shop

Act Two, Scene Eleven

(Deborah runs into cafe, stands motionless, staring.)

Matthew:

Deborah?

Deborah:

Matt, its over.  I don't...

Matthew:

What is?

Deborah:

James...He said he didn't love me...only like a friend or something like that.  I don't know what happened...

Maggie:

Hot and cold, that one.

Deborah:

I don't know what happened.  It was like one moment we were so happy...then the next he was so cold.  I don't know what to do...

Maggie:

I know, I totally get it.  He did the same with me.

Deborah:

I thought he and I had something special...I just don't know...I think I'll go away for awhile...I just need to get away, from all of this...

Matthew:

Deborah---

Deborah:

Figure things out, maybe go back to school. For something. And then, maybe I'll come back. Maybe.

(She looks around)

Maggie:

(taking Deborah's hand)

I'm leaving soon, for California.  You can come with me, start a new life together.

Deborah:

You going to school?

Maggie:

Yeah.  So?

Deborah:

I'll think about it.

(she looks around.)

This old cafe, its become like a home to me. Can't help feeling it won't be here...when I come back.

Matthew:

Oh this place, it'll always be here.

Deborah:

Like, you know that song, we are all "scattering like ice from a spoon" or something like "nothing lasts forever".

(She wanders around cafe)

I'm trying to remember, to hold everything in my mind. So someday if---

Matthew:

If?

Deborah:

If? If I ever...

Matthew:

Its like Shaggy always says, you know--

Deborah:

What?

Matthew:

The government is out to get us---

(they all laugh, hug)

Deborah:

I love you, Matthew.

Matthew:

You're all right yourself, Deborah.

(Lights fade out)

No comments:

Post a Comment