Sunday, October 11, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Two, Scene Ten

(Maggie and Matthew in cafe.)

Maggie:

So, I think I got it.  Making all the drinks is still a little scary but--

Matthew:

You'll get it.  Don't be nervous at all.

Maggie:

First day jitters that's all.

(Thomas enters.)

Maggie:

Shit.

Matthew:

Want me to get this one?

Maggie:

No, no.  I got to face it sometime.

(Thomas approaches counter, looks at Maggie, awkward silence.)

Thomas:

Hey.

Maggie:

Hi.

Thomas:

Did I see the other night, with Deborah?

Maggie:

Yeah, girls' night.

Thomas:

Yeah, yeah.

Maggie:

So, you work there?

Thomas:

Yeah.

Maggie:

You like it?

Thomas:

Yeah, it pays the bills.  The church, well, you know.

Maggie:

Yeah.

(silence.)

Thomas:

So, you work here now? How do you like it?

Maggie:

First day.

Thomas:

Well, its pretty easy.  You'll get the hang of it.  I wish I was still here sometimes.

Maggie:

Bet you do.

(silence.)

Get you anything?

Thomas:

Just a cup of coffee and one of those amazing peach pecan muffins.

Maggie:

All right.

(She pours coffee, gets muffin, sets it on the counter.  He lays some cash on the counter, takes both in hands, waits.)

Saving up money...for school.

Thomas:

School?

Maggie:

Yeah...in California.

Thomas:

Out of state. Huh?

Maggie:

Yeah. What do you think about that?

Thomas:

(after a moment)

If you need to do that...

Maggie:

Yeah, well.  I can't stick around here all my life.

Thomas:

Yeah.  Well, good luck.

(He turns and walks down to patio, sits. Ray enters slowly, nods to Thomas, then enters cafe.)

Matthew:

Hi there, Ray.  How are you?

(Ray nods at him. He sits at table down center, pulls out paper from coat pocket, unfolds it, stares at it.)

Matthew:

Need coffee?

(Ray nods. Matthew goes behind counter, grabs a cup of coffee, and brings it down to him.)

Matthew:

(handing it to him and sitting across from him.)

So, everything okay?

Ray:

Well...

(pushes paper across to him. Matthew turns it toward him, looks at it.)

Matthew:

I'm...sorry.

Ray:

Thanks.

Matthew:

So, how long do you...

Ray:

have to live? Well, there is a place up north where I can get regular treatments, should give me a few more years.

Matthew:

So, you're going to go.

Ray:

Don't have a choice, if I want to live.

Matthew:

Yeah.  Just keep in touch.

Ray:

Of course.

(Thomas gets up and crosses to them, sits.)

Thomas:

So, she works here now?

Matthew:

Yeah. So?

Thomas:

Says she's moving...for school?

Ray:

So, you gonna say something?

Thomas:

What is there to say?

Ray:

So, that's that.

Thomas:

Yeah, I guess so.

Ray:

Really? Really?

Thomas:

Yeah, really.

Ray:

Its just...

(looks at paper.)

Thomas:

What?

Ray:

You only get one chance at this, you know.

Thomas:

At what?

Ray:

Life, is all.

Thomas:

Well, well, well. Since when have you become a philosopher?

Matthew:

Hey, Thomas--

Ray:

(hesitating)

Since this.

(pushes paper towards Thomas, who looks at it.  Silence.)

Thomas:

Sorry, man.

Ray:

No worries.  So going up north for treatments and living.

Thomas:

Seems like everyone's taking off, then.

(Maggie crosses down to table, sits nearest Matthew.)

Matthew:

Not everyone.

Thomas:

What about you, man? You going to stick around here the rest of your life?

Matthew:

Hopefully, not.

Thomas:

So, what's with you and Deborah?

Matthew:

Nothing. I mean, we're done.  She called it off...

Ray:

And, you're okay with that?

Matthew:

I shouldn't be? What else can I do?

Ray:

Sometimes if you want something, you got to fight.

Matthew:

What, are you Shaggy now?

Ray:

Yeah, never give up the fight, that's right.  Life is short...

Thomas:

So, Deborah?

Matthew:

She and James are...

Thomas:

Really?

Maggie:

(after a moment)

Its been a few weeks since they got together, all seems well, I guess. But, you know, how James is, classic Leo. Passionate one moment, Fire the next.

Thomas:

I don't quite follow you.

Maggie:

Runs hot and cold that one. I just hope she doesn't end up hurt.

Thomas:

Well, the future is not in our hands.

(He finishes coffee and rises, throwing a couple dollars on table)

I got to get to work.

(Looks at Maggie, then away.)

I'll be seeing you.

(To Matthew.)

Later, man.

(Ray rises.)

Ray:

Well, I got a doctor's appointment...

(rising slowly.)

Matthew:

(rising with him.)

Take care of yourself. You know what Shaggy always says...

Ray:

Yeah, yeah I do.

Matthew:

Right, that. So, don't.

(Thomas and Ray exit, Matthew watches after them.)

(Lights fade.)

No comments:

Post a Comment