Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love



Act Three, Scene One

(Lights up on front of stage, encircling the donkey is the furniture from the cafe. The platform is the apartment of James and Deborah from Act One.  Matthew and Deborah are sitting on the bed, as in the end of act one. As the lights come up, James is facing outwards, standing behind the donkey.)

James:

(whispers)

Deborah.

Deborah:

(sitting up, crossing down to him)

Are you really here?

James:

(crossing to her and standing beside her)

Remember I used to say to you, "I'll meet you in my dreams tonight."

Deborah:

You look...like you used to look, so long ago.

James:

Its how you wanted to see me.

Deborah:

Right here. You are still right here in my heart. Even after everything that happened, you are still right here. Even if I tried to forget you, I can't forget...that I love you. You once told me that I needed to find a love more than fire, bells, and whistles. I needed to just know that I am loved. With you, I have that, when its all said and done. Even when you are far away...I still know. But, there is still this loneliness because I can't see you---

James:

When I look into your eyes, I see the reflection of my own soul.

Deborah:

I do too.

James:

What are you thinking?

Deborah:

Just thinking about...

James:

Say it.

Deborah:

The old times, what life was like, how simple it was. I can still see it, in my mind, almost like I'm still there but its just starting to fade...the cafe. And you. And all of it. I don't want to let go but still...Thinking of what I wanted back then, the foolish young girl I was, trying to paint the picture of my life and love. The fairy-tale life, you know. And its just that...I'm angry, when it comes down to it. Angry at myself for believing in that, and not seeing. But, we can never really see. We only see what we want to, with rose-covered glasses. Its not black or white, bad or good. It just is. I'm angry at you because you left me and said you wouldn't. Couldn't.

James:

I still can't. Remember, "Love will last forever."

Deborah:

James.

(She looks away)

James:

You know, I looked up the meaning of our names once. You know what my name means? Supplanter.

(laughs)

But, your name, Deborah, means Honey Bee. And, your middle name, Ruth, means loyal friend.

Deborah:

So?

James:

You are a loyal friend that brings sweet things.

Deborah:

Tell me what to do, now. I'm tired of fighting.

James:

Me too. Deborah, my honey bee, I'm sorry that I never believed in you. Maybe there is one soul-mate for all of us, maybe there is more than one, pushing us to the great love. Who knows?

(takes her hand)

I only know that, you have to go on and you will...without me.

Deborah:

What will you do?

James:

I'll go where the wind guides.

Deborah:

But--

James:

Deborah, don't let me go, no matter what. I"ll be right here, always.

(places his hand on her heart)

I'll live on forever in your heart, your eyes, your dreams. Write my story, our story. And, Cafe-Girl, I love you. And, good-bye.

(He exits upstage)

Deborah: Will I ever see you again?

(Lights out, fade in on Deborah waking up next to Matthew, looks at him, smiles.)

Deborah:

Sometimes you fall in love at first sight, sometimes it takes awhile.


(Lights fade out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment