Sunday, October 4, 2015

Cafe Girl: A Story of Coffee, Sex, Cigarettes, & True Love


Act Two, Scene Four

(Deborah alone, center stage, spotlight, as she talks the cafe is lit slowly behind her)

Deborah:

I started going to a coffee shop recently. I never thought I'd be a cafe girl, you know, but I always wanted to be. Maybe, that's what life is all about, going after what you want. But, I thought you had to wear all black, smoke cigarettes, look morose all the time, and talk about dark things. In fact, there is a guy like that.

(Lights up on James, sitting on patio at coffee shop behind her.)

Yeah, he's just like I would have imagined. Dark hair, dark clothes, dark eyes...eyes. (muses) I think I am going to call him 'scary dark boy'. Then, there is Matthew, who my boyfriend, he's cute with this amazing red hair

(lights up on Matthew sitting across from James)

Such a "cute coffee boy". He's all right, but I don't know where the relationship is going. A girl needs to know these things. At least, he's not the ex-slob. Matthew's dealing with similar crap with his ex. This friend I have, she's always talking about the need to find a husband. I guess we are 'husband hunting', feels kind of under-handed, you know. Love. Marriage. Life.  What's it all about?  I can't help but think or hope, I can do some good for them...and maybe them for me. Who knows?

(ponders)

Every time I come to the cafe, there they sit on the patio, Just sitting. Waiting...for me? Or something, what? What are we all waiting for? Minutes slipping by...take the chance, to love. Isn't that what life is all about? What life is worth? So, there they sit, waiting and when I see them, waving.

(lights out on Deborah, lights fade in on cafe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment