Friday, February 14, 2014

The Other Side...of Acting!

Acting, for me, is the best form of therapy.  At times, the most painful yet in the end the most healing to free myself from the past.

In every character, I can find an element of my true self, albeit comedic or tragic, but every now and again, there is a character given to me by more than the director or the writer but, indeed, by the hands of the divine that is in her essence so much of me that she and I become one.  In that way, I lose myself as I bring her to life--her worries, struggles, pains and, yes, hopes and dreams become fused with mine. It was this way with Edna Miles and it is this way with Elizabeth, a character from the short play, The Other Side, written by Bob Valine, which is part of this weekend's readings at Paschal Winery.

I always am humbled when, if ever, I have the chance to meet the writers and always hope that in bringing to life their beloved creations, their characters, their babies, I can do their work justice.  Even though I love all of the work given to me this weekend, it is Valine's Elizabeth that I am most grateful for and that poses the biggest challenge.  It is for this reason some days have passed before writing this.

In this play, Elizabeth has lost her husband, David, in a tragic accident and is trying, failingly to put it behind her.  Similarily, I lost my own beloved first love due to divorce, a death in its own way, even though the right thing to do.

Elizabeth suspects foul play in that David was unfaithful with a "bikini" and I, too, know that feeling in that my ex's "other woman" was, in a sense, his illness.  Like Elizabeth, I try to hold in and deal the best I can with the conflicting emotions of love and hatred for the man I swore to love for all time yet can never be with again; my first love at first sight soul-mate.

Yet there are moments when I wish I could have with him, one last chance, to tell my Billiam that I love him still and for always and that a part of me misses him and will never ever forget...

I am truly thankful to Bob for writing this script and birthing Elizabeth, to Michael for giving me to her to portray, and even my Theatre-Mama, Becky, for sharing this stage with me.

To find out what happens, see you this Saturday, February 15th and Sunday, February 16th at Paschal Winery for the Paschal Readings.  Doors open at 7 pm.


https://www.facebook.com/events/703614122993149/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

http://www.paschalwinery.com/

Bob Valine is a local Southern Oregon playwright.

No comments:

Post a Comment