Monday, February 10, 2014

Don't let life "Pass" you by...

Hi! My name is Angel Seraphina, but a lot of people call me Princess because I wear this funny crown on my head, including the bus driver who drives my bus to school every day.  I like it for a lot of reasons but mainly because it makes me feel good, like how I've always wanted to be treated.  The crown is a reminder of my ability to downgrade myself and as my psycho-shrink says, "it will remind me to find more value in my own worth" blah de blah blah blah.

I was diagnosed with severe depression a few years back, when I was 18, around the time my father had a heart attack.  Life seemed pretty easy going until then, or so it seemed.  There was more lying under the surface that I didn't know about, or didn't want to see, isn't that how it always is?

Anyway, my father used to call me "His Princess" when I was a little girl and drive me around town while I sipped on the best strawberry shake in town.  After his death, I spiraled quickly into a mental breakdown, increased even more by my mother's second marriage.  I started regressing and was put into therapy, which helped me realize my father was abusive sexually to me as a child, which, in turn, caused more regression, as I struggled failingly to hide that truth and return to a more "innocent time".

This brought on the intense depression which then was followed by a suicide attempt which landed me into the psych ward...when I was released from there, I began my life again with school, with promises to continue therapy and take my medications.  Not wanting to go back there, I decided to try...and find my place in the world.

Riding the bus at one point was a source of high anxiety but has now been a victory for me, brought on even more by the friends' I meet who care enough to really see my value and importance, ie my royalty. Case in point, my friend, Tommy, who carries a lawn chair for me to sit in, like the princess I truly am, while waiting for our bus to arrive.

And, so in turn, I want to help them.  Or see if I can...

Find out how I help them this Saturday, February 15th and Sunday, February 16th at 7 pm at Paschal Winery in Talent, Oregon at the Paschal Readings, directed by Michael Meyer.

http://www.paschalwinery.com/

Princess, ie Angel, is based on a character from local Rogue Valley playwright, Cynthia Rogan's play, Pass, showing this Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/events/703614122993149/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment