Saturday, February 28, 2015

Gender-Bender!

Vagina Diaries Day Twenty-Seven

Hey, you guys!

No, wait, let me correct my thinking...

When I was a student teacher working towards getting my teaching credential, my mentor teacher informed me that referring to a class of both boys and girls as "you guys" was derogatory and discriminatory towards females.  I made a note to change that wording in her classroom, but have been relatively lax when it comes to that phrase in later years, partly because its a phrase used by many a folk in today's society.  But, I do often find myself second guessing the usage of it in mixed groups or even more so in single sex group with a bunch of other women and girls.

Most women don't mind, so used to that phrase as they are and let it slide.  But, does that make it right?  Why can't I refer to a bunch of guys and girls as "Hey chics?"  Wouldn't that be just as acceptable? Does this male reference so widely used and accepted signify the male dominance in today's culture?

I think my answer to this is to honor my sisters of all ages by making the attempt to use the term, "Ladies and Gentlemen" or in a classroom setting, "Boys and Girls" or even "Girls and Boys".  Although I most likely will slip up and find myself using the "Hey guys" usage again, making the effort in my mind is the first step towards promoting gender equality.

What do you think? Does changing a simple phrase make a difference in promoting female strength and equality?




No comments:

Post a Comment