Thursday, September 3, 2020

Do You Validate?

 

Try


The advent of social media and the internet has its positives and negatives.  The idea of using it as a valuable resource and tool goes far beyond any previous information gathering available in the past.  Furthermore, the usage of the internet and social media sites makes it a possibility to advance your career in ways unheard of before, such as this blog, per example.  However, there are some negative side effects that perhaps have caused a major setback to human nature.

The need to seek approval, acceptance, and validation from another is not a new thing, but I believe has become increasingly more rampant in today's society due to the immediacy of response available to be found on all social media sites.  With the ability to post your feelings or thoughts and receive instantaneously responses in favor of your need, the ability to self-regulate and care for oneself has come up lacking.  

It appears as if social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter (to name a few), have become a beacon of connectivity that reduces the amount of inward reflection needed to maintain a soul's optimal health.  




"It's not official if it isn't on Facebook," my friend and I would quip about dating relationships.  And, it seems this is an all too frequent a reality for today's social norm beyond that of romantic partnering.  

All to often, I see posts seeking congratulations on celebrated events, or asking for condolences when in a tragic mood, to be met with a plethora of response required by the one who posted.  In addition, I have often seen posts championing for causes, pro or against, that are currently viral, yet when they are not mainstream events, the posts on such causes are unseen.  I'm not saying that such posts are inherently bad, because I see the value in the new "community" found within the framework of social media.  But, I do believe that one's inner necessity for what I have coined "social media validation" has gone too far, in that, partakers of these sites are losing their abilities to go inward, to seek alternate ways of healing and validation, and are finding the quick fix for their mental and emotional ailments, yet not truly healed. 

I do not mean to offend or slander by posting this.  I admit that I have been an offender of such "social media validation" listed above.  But, I do want to wake all up to the reality that it is not the duty of an outside source to build up our confidence, nor is it possible to do just that.  In the end, reaching out without first looking within and/or seeking professional mental health help will prove insufficient for living one's best life.  Social media validation, I believe, is becoming just as much of an addiction or escape as an alcoholic or drug addict escaping into the bottle or crack pipe.






I know that it does not have to be this way and like I mentioned above, there is some inherent positive to the usage of social media sites if addressed from both the standpoint of a tool in itself, a connecting point but not the final connection between family and friends, so long as the individual partaking in social media comes at this resource with their own healthy mindset in place and the ability to seek validation on their own.  

I don't mean to brag, but this has been a focus of my life this past year.  All too often, I have witnessed my propensity to post a celebration request, a complaint, a sorrow, the nitty gritty details of my "poor me" life, or even asking for a reference for some item or product I am seeking, and instead have chosen daily to actively deter myself from such choice.  In addition to twice monthly therapy, I have begun the process of eliminating my time on social media sites, choosing to spend time in self-help books and journal writing, nature walks, gardening, and so much more.  Because of this, my inner confidence has enabled me to find the validation of which I lacked when I merely looked for it in the external. 



I used to hold my freak back
Now I'm letting go
I make my own choice
Bitch, I run this show
So leave the lights on
No, you can't make me behave
So you say I'm complicated
That I must be outta my mind
But you had me underrated
Rated, rated
What's wrong with being, what's wrong with being
What's wrong with being confident?
What's wrong with being, what's wrong with being
What's wrong with being confident?
It's time to get the chains out
Don't take my word for it!  I would love to hear your thoughts on the above.  Comment below and I will respond.  
The Thriving Artist is a subset of Cafe-Girl Productions, Inc, an independent film and media company with other services as well.  Support us at: www.patreon.com/cafegirlproductions



No comments:

Post a Comment