Sunday, May 3, 2015

Lessons I Learned From Helga

Day One

When I first took the role of Helga Ten Dorp in the play, Death Trap, I was more than a bit daunted.  It was to be my first comedic role, and as of yet, I have always had very serious dramatic parts.  Furthermore, was trained in college in dramatic pieces.  So, the thought of having to make something funny seemed a real challenge, at first.

However, what I learned is that acting, whatever the genre, stays true to the same basic concepts I was taught.  Still with comedy as in drama, there is the basic premise of 'being truthful in the imaginative circumstances' of the character's life, her basic needs and intentions, how she goes about obtaining those needs (ie what she is fighting for), as well as how she relates to others' around her in the story.  (See: substitutes.)

Furthermore, there is still the need, (at least for me, an actress who goes a little too method at times but not always) to meditate in preparation before entering the stage, visualizing the steps taken before entering the scene, also running through my head are the intentions I am seeking as I enter, as well as the relationships of the characters' I will face in conjunction with who they represent for me, Lia, in real life.

This may sound like a heck of a lot of work, but really its not...at least for me.  Just a means for me to quiet my mind before going on and dive into the depths of my creativity and that of the character.

All that to say, it's all there.  The same truths and steps that I take when taking on a dramatic character applies here to the comedic.  Once I've come to that place, the dialogue, actions, and reasons for it all fall into place naturally.

And, then there is that weird feeling of hearing the audience laugh when I am used to making them think deeply or even cry, at first, having an unnerving effect on my self esteem until I understood...They like me, they really really like me!

Heck, I guess I am naturally a funny person after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment