Tuesday, May 26, 2015

....Flames That Never Die....


Singing a song successfully is like acting, in that its about living truthfully within the story of the words and letting their truth speak powerfully through you.  Then resonating within, reaching within to places not always visible or felt, and pouring outward like waterfalls of energy splashing upon the listening ear bouncing back to you.

This weekend, I sang in front of people, for the first time in a very long time, as a performance and not as a nerve-wracking audition, a solo of a song that has been meaningful for many a year in 'this journey I am on'.  A song with words that needed to be spoken (and heard) not just for me, or by me, but for and by my Mimi, the late great Ruth S. Anderson.

It was her who requested I sing that song at her and her husband, Don's (Grandpa's) memorial this weekend because these words expressed what she needed to say to those she loved one last time.

She sang through me, "Simple truths will keep you going, Simple love will keep you strong."

And, knowing all that she'd been through in her 99 years of existence in this world,  through all the highs and lows, the most important part of life 'are the memories she made along the way'.  After the heartbreak of miscarriages and other misfortunes, she expresses to all of us that 'heart-breaks we go through can be blessings in disguise' as before her lies the truth of this: in her children, their children, and her children's children.

And, what I learned is what continues to heal my grief, that there are "flames that never die", as her light and love for me, and that of my Grandpa, continues to burn, guiding me forward, illuminating my path before me.

For that I am grateful, that she took a hold of my soul one more time, and for that I say with a sigh,
"How Could I Ask For More?"

No comments:

Post a Comment