Sunday, May 17, 2015

We are the Alphas!


My boyfriend, Michael, recently got me into the TV show, Alphas, which I readily complied to do, as I continue my quest to become savvy in all things pop culture.

Alphas tells the story of 5 individuals with exceptional mental powers that makes them different than the general population and shows how they came to accept, control, and maintain these powers for the good of mankind.  With them for support both career-wise and therapeutically is their psychiatrist who runs the operation, as they seek to work as crime-fighters dealing with others of their kind out in the world who don't understand who they are or how to control their powers.



Watching it, I couldn't help find the comparison to a real life mental issues as well as struggles, those individuals, like myself, with documented and all too frequently undocumented mental illnesses.  Throughout my life, and those of my closest friends, we have struggled to understand why we are they we were, trying to fit into the mainstream society with the awkward and failed attempts to control our issues which all too soon resulted in 'the breakdown'.  But this breakdown, although hard and painful, became a blessing in disguise, as we learned gratefully that we are not alone and learned to appreciate our weaknesses and develop them as strengths for the betterment of the world.
One way we do this is by support and advocacy of those less fortunate than us, those in the throes of their illnesses, struggling to be set free as we have become.



A few years back, my friends and I gathered every Thursday around noon in a beautiful garden setting under leafing trees with sunlight spilling forth to discuss our lives, our struggles, and find healing.  Along the way, life-long friendships developed with the mutual life-purpose and understanding that we are, indeed, uniquely endowed with special gifts.

In that, I profess to you that my friends and I are truly...

The Alphas!


No comments:

Post a Comment