Thursday, May 28, 2015

'Wild' About Reese


First off,  I must say that the performance of Ms. Reese Witherspoon was outstanding and by far one of her best works I have seen as yet.  And, I happen to be a longstanding fan of this beautiful and talented actress.

Reese isn't afraid to go to the places of self-discovery the character, Cheryl Strayed (real person), calls for in her journey towards wholeness.  Reese allows herself to become "ugly", not just through the dirt and grime of the PCT but also through the honesty of her poor life choices and her journey to heal and reclaim her identity apart from them.  All too often, I have needed and been on similar life treks in order to free myself from the demons within.

The story, Wild, is told through a stream of consciousness-type revealing by Cheryl as past and present scenes merge throughout her journey.  Along the way, Cheryl's inner strength and beauty begins to emerge as she sheds past pain, sorrows, and learns to forgive herself.

As the journey ends, she discovers that all of her life led her to where she is, in the end all aspects of her life worked together for her benefit, whether good or bad at the moment.


This film touched me deeply because of my life-journey and simultaneous struggle to discover my true self and true calling.  Finally, once I did, the peace and forgiveness I discovered with my past and as Cheryl discovered I am now at last free and...WILD!

No comments:

Post a Comment