Sunday, May 31, 2015

In Search of "Dream Cast"




"Dreamcast" (written by my good friend, Catherine Hansen) read like a novel version of the film, "Waiting For Guffman".  Yet, I find the characters in this novel to be more highly developed than that of the aforementioned film.  Could that be, perhaps, because in novels authors can go into more depth of character than in films?  Who knows? For this reason, I would love to see "Dreamcast" adapted into a play format or even a screenplay.  

It's a laugh out loud funny story, as we follow the characters through the ins and outs of putting on a community theatre production, something Hansen knows of quite well.  Even more that I know her personally, her sense of humor comes alive through these pages, just as she is in life, genuine and personable.  

As an actress who has done a bit of community theatre, I felt as if I knew the characters personally, as if I have worked with them myself.  

As the story opens on auditions for the cast of thousands musical, "The Sound of Music", the reader sees the highs and lows of the production unfold, from the lives of the under-paid (or not at all) community theatre professionals, the politics therein, and the various thoughts on the nature of good community theatre.   (Does musical theatre count?) 


A must summer read!  Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment