Monday, November 8, 2021

Write Funny: Night Court Of Life Lessons Chapter Seven

 

How To Write Funny

As I have been reflecting upon the different lessons gleaned from my Night Court fandom by re-watching the series from start to finish, I now realize how much of my creativity, in this instance 'script-writing', has been affected by the comedic writing of Night Court.  The rapid fire back and forth dialogue that never missed a beat, the absurd twists and turns that never failed to surprise as the story unfolded, all have shaped how I express my wordings in the telling of my stories.

Over the last few years, I have been busily working in the post-production land editing video content for my continuing Doctor Who fan-fiction series, TimeSick.  Truth be told, this is quite a daunting task and one of which in the past I have often found myself wondering why I am the one always to do such heavy duty.  However, over the  last few years, I have felt an immense sense of gratitude for this work  has enabled me to learn and develop new skills as well as to realize my talent.  

TimeSick follows the time-lords and time-ladies of Gallifrey upon their home planet and beyond as they seek to either rule the universe entirely or stop others from doing just that.  As each character pursues this journey, they meet some interesting side characters along the way that simultanously encourage and detract them from receiving their purposes through methods that leave them shaking their heads while the audience laughs along.  As I listen to the actors portray my characters and say the lines, I marvel at how natural my comedic understanding is and how strong the influence from my younger years watching Night Court after school in my parents' basement.  I used to credit the actors for infusing their natural comedic timing within the context of my story, which is valid, but the problem was I never allowed myself to value my input and truly embrace my self worth.


In addition to TimeSick, I wrote the first season of the original webseries, "Nate & Laura & How They Met", in which the rough draft was written a little everyday before heading to work.  The impetus to write that was based on watching Netflix sitcoms as well as building on the relationship woes between myself and my friends.   From that, we have two seasons under our belt and are now at work writing, editing, re-writing season three.  I marvel in wonderment at the progression of my sweet little story but once again am blown away by my comedic sensibilities within storytelling.  

Once again, the infamous song lyric comes to mind: 

"Everything comes back to you (Night Court)".



You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of





No comments:

Post a Comment