Friday, November 5, 2021

Always Hope: Night Court Of Life Lessons Chapter Five

 


There Is Always Hope

When pondering this entry on the lessons found in Night Court, it became strange to me that I would write about such while sharing a photo of someone I greatly admired, always wished to share how much he meant to me as a youngster, and never got that opportunity, something I don't know if I will ever feel that recovered.  However, as I then scanned through the photos of Night Court castmembers searching for photos of Harry that would give that resounding warmth of hope (and when does he not, just look at those loving blue eyes with the youthful twinkle), my eyes kept falling upon not just him but the other castmembers who we have recently lost, namely Markie Post and Charles Robinson.  Thus, I began to feel that that feeling of hope was not an overall theme of the stories of Night Court, but is something that I have found pertinent throughout my own life. 

Within the context of Night Court, there are many instances where the characters struggle to maintain a sense of hope amidst the nightly rigors of a work environment that may seem bleak and without at times.  Throughout each episode, the characters find relief in their circumstances by the camradie of their colleagues, whose encouragement shows the true power of  'laughter is indeed the best medicine' and by staying true to your core the solution will reveal itself.  

However, sometimes the situations seem to dire, the answers seem unreachable and amongst the shadowy mist in a place of shadowy vision, and in those moments where the character finds himself feeling the most alone, dejected, confused, lost.  Such as, Bull's unceasing desire to be a parent yet cannot be fulfilled, Harry's feeling dejected after a child is shot as if all he has ever done doesn't matter, Dan's slow, mental breakdown after losing job opportunities and pursued wealth which leaves him feeling unable to move, yet beneath it all each character slowly emerges from their cocoon of darkness through the patient support of their faithful friends.  These loving faithful prove that despite difficulties inwardly they truly never give up the flame of hope, a torch which can help re-ignite another's who has gone out in despair.  This is such the case in season three, episode two, "The Hostage", where a man claiming to be from Saturn holds the court at gunpoint until he is able to return to his home planet, as the show reaches his conclusion, the man is safely taken into custody of a psychiatric hospital, he turns to Harry with the sad news of the doom of Earth by the abuses of its people yet Harry remarks that 'no matter how dark things seem to get, he can't find a way to give up on the hope of a better tomorrow' (paraphrase).  It's a poignant moment that the other characters and audience take in, only to be broken by the insane laughter from the Saturn man. 

Harry remarks that he 'no matter how dark things seem to get, 

he can't find a way to give up on the hope of a better tomorrow' (paraphrase). 



As a child growing up in circumstances not altogether positive, hearing this promise of a better future infused itself within me, without my truly knowing that it had.  As the years have passed, that clear message shared to me through the TV screen in my parents basement on a TV station not clearly visible, has remained a firm sticking point despite the dark recesses of my mind dragging me downwards.  No matter how far I fell, I always always found my way out and upwards.  




The beauty of it all is that this TV show that brought such relief in my formidable years has seemingly returned to me in a time of such intense healing and trauma work.  It's as if in the journey of my life, the ups and downs, has brought me right back to my core, the place where true healing is done and the power of hope discovered.  While I indulge in watching old reruns now, I feel the little girl inside of me releasing in the warmth of being safe, cherished, and free to be truly herself.  It is not something that is often truly admitted openly but what I have discovered is that those favorite TV shows, films, or bands are the sources of our greatest strength, healing, and in that discovery the true reality that hope never dies.   As the feeling of the ache of heartbreak engulfs me as these beloved actors breathe their last and head onwards to the great courtroom in the sky (making God laugh, no doubt), I am swept over by a nearness like none felt when they walked this earth, no longer is there any separation, the understanding that their most powerful role was as spirit guide, as in life through a TV screen, so, too, in death, helping to lift up, encourage, showing that life is to be taken less seriously, and the answers we seek will always be found when we let go, we find hope.



Behind your eyes
Are endless blue skies
You travel places i want to come, too
Each breath that you breathe
Is a brush stroke that leads me to you

So sleep
Fall into nights indigo hue
Believe me, its true
Theres nothing that I would not do
For my dream is sweet dreams for you

It seems far away
But there once was a day
It was grey in a world without you
To this heart like a dove from above
The miracle of your love found me


 









No comments:

Post a Comment