Friday, April 28, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act two, Scene two

Time: Evening of the same day

MONTAGE: Nate at Lucy's front door, Lucy opens front door, he takes stephen from Nate's arms, Adam runs into the house.  Cut to: Lucy at dining table with stephen and Adam.  She feeds Stephen in his high chair, Adam talks and laughs about his day, Lucy laughs with him.  CUt to: Kiyah in her bedroom, her laptop in front of her on the bed, Close UP: Kiyah's computer, website on "American Airlines" reads Medford, OR to Bellingham, WA, Kiyah's mouse hovers over confirm, CLose up: Kiyah's face, smiling, sound of mouse clicking, Camera pans over Kiyah's room, she leans back onto bed, smiling satisfied.  Cut to: Close up on Samantha's smiling face, pull out to see Nate2 smiling at her, pull out and between them you see Samantha's son between them, holding each of their hands, they smile at each other, swing the little boy between them, all laughing.  Cut to: Ashley in bed with nate3, laughing, kissing, talking, hugging. Cut to: Laura leaving work, walking to her house, cleaning up for work.  Cut to: Nate's granny unit, he prepares house, sets table for two, with candles.  Cut to: Laura walking towards Nate's house, starts to rain. Cut to: Nate's house, there is a knock at the door, Nate goes to answer it.

POV: Nate, opening door

NATE

Oh my god, Jessica?

Cut to: Laura walking towards Nate's house, rain starts to pour harder, she hurries her steps.

Cut to: Nate's living room, Jessica enters holding a cat carrier

NATE

What are you doing here, Jessica?

JESSICA

Look, can we talk?

NATE

You came all this way to...talk?!?

JESSICA

Well, yeah, well, not at first.  I was going to make this grand entrance into your life, plead for forgiveness ala John Cusack in Say Anything, sort of like, right? Not like him in High Fidelity because....well, he was kind of a creep in that...remember that movie? We loved that movie.  I mean, I was thinking about that and all the things we did together while I was driving here...and I guess I never got to say, really tell you, that...I'm sorry.

NATE

You're sorry?

JESSICA

Yeah, and...

(She looks around.)

You having a dinner party or something? A date? You expecting a date?

NATE

Well, kind of, yeah.

JESSICA

Is she nice? Is she pretty? Prettier than...don't answer that, you don't have to answer that.  Please.

(She smiles, weakly.  Doodle walks over and sniffs cat carrier, growls, cat hisses inside.)

Oh, I see the kids have re-connected.

Cut TO: Nate's front door, Laura knocks

(Nate opens door. Laura smiles at him.  He smiles at her.)

LAURA

Hi Nate.

NATE

Hi...Laura?

(POV: LAURA, The door swings open further to reveal Jessica in background.)

LAURA

Who...who is that?

NATE

Laura...this is Jessica.  Jessica, this is Laura.

LAURA

Jessica? As in...?

NATE

Yes.

LAURA

You didn't say she was visiting?

NATE

I didn't--

LAURA

I'll just go.  Yeah, I'm gonna go.  I'm sorry...to interrupt...everything.  I'm really sorry.  It was nice to meet you, Jessica, I hope you really enjoy your stay.  Ashland is really beautiful this time of year.  Um, yeah.  Bye.

(She hurries out of the room.  Rain starts falling harder.)

Cut to: Laura in the rain, crying

Cut to: Nate's living room

JESSICA

She seems...nice.

(pause.)

You need to go after her.

NATE

Wait, what?

JESSICA

Yeah, go after her.  I mean, yeah I came here to win you back, but when I was driving here I realized that our time was then, so I really came here to say "thank you for everything, and good-bye".  And, seeing Laura just now...Nate, as soon as you saw her, your face...sort of...lit up.  I don't think it ever did that with me, ever, when we were together.  So?

NATE

So?

JESSICA

So? Go after her.  Go have your John Cusack 80's movie romantic love scene in the rain moment! Do it! Do it now!  This could be the one, man!

NATE

You think?

JESSICA

I don't know.  Take that risk. Go!

(Nate starts to move towards the door.)

You mind if I help myself to some of this food? I'm so hungry.

NATE

Yeah, sure, whatever, help yourself.

JESSICA

Sure, then I'll head to the hotel.  We won't be here when you get back!

Act Two, Scene Three

Exterior: Street

Time: A few minutes have passed, rain is pouring down hard

(Nate runs down onto street, from driveway, he looks left and right.)

WIde Pov: Nate

(He sees Laura walking away.)

NATE

Laura!!! Laura!!!  LAURA!!!

(She turns and stops, then starts to move again.)

Laura!!! Please!!! WAIT!!!

(She stops and stares at him.)

WIDE POV: LAURA

(Nate running down the street towards her, he slips in a puddle, gets up, keeps running, finally he reaches her.)

NATE

Laura, please, at least let me explain.  She just showed up at my house, I didn't know she was coming, I didn't invite her.  I'm serious, you gotta believe me.

POV:Nate

LAURA

No, who do you think I am? Some silly twenty-something girl whose going to believe all your lies.  I've had enough told to me.  You are all the same, just leave me alone.  I'm going to die alone, stop listening to bells and what could be or whatever, its just me, for myself now.

NATE

Laura, wait, please.

POV: Laura

Yeah, I think she did want to...win me back by coming here...but you know what...she...she...she told me to come after you.  She's not staying. She's moving on and so am I.  I know this all sounds like some really nice story and I know that a lot of guys have fucked with you, Laura, and I'm sorry for that.  Sorry because you got hurt and sorry because it sucks for me.  No, that came out wrong.  But, it did.  But, just look at me, Laura, I'm here, in this freezing Oregon rain getting all soaked and why...because the only way I can make sense of this bell, this alarm in my head, is when I just let it be, when I'm around you and it makes beautiful music...it all makes sense then.  I can't explain it, its just something I know.  I know that I could...love you, if given the chance.

Close up: Laura

I know that you are in my life for a reason, either way.  That that's the reason for the bell, you and I are meant to cross each others paths, it wasn't an accident, the night at the bar, any of it.  I don't know if you are the one, or even if I believe in that either anymore, I've been fucked over too, Laura, and I'm scared.  But, all I know is, I need you...in my life.

WIDE: Laura and Nate

(After a few moments, Laura slowly reaches out her hand towards him. Nate reaches out and takes it.)

Close up: Their hands

WIde: Laura and nate, smiling at each other, in the rain

LAURA

Walk with me?

NATE

Yeah.  Anywhere.

(They start to walk away.)

3/4 POV CAMERA wide: Nate and laura holding hands

Wide: Nate and laura walking away from camera, holding hands, smiling, eye contact

No comments:

Post a Comment