Monday, April 10, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met. (Season Two!)



Act One, Scene One

(Nate and Laura on Lucy's front porch, a few minutes later, kissing.)

CUTAWAY: Samantha, Kiyah, Lucy, Ashley in Lucy's kitchen, cooking, bottle of wine on the table.

Kiyah

Hey, where's Laura?

Samantha

I think she's still outside, on the patio.

KIYAH

Can you go get her? She should help too.

SAMANTHA

Yes, mother.

(Kiyah glares at Samantha, Samantha turns and walks into living room.)

POV: Samantha, in living room, looking onto patio, seeing Nate and laura, kissing, being romantically googly-eyed.

CLOSE UP:Samantha's face, smiling.

(Samantha turns and re-enters kitchen.)

KIYAH

So, where's Laura?

SAMANTHA

Um...a bit busy right now, actually.

KIYAH

Oh for the love of...do I have to do everything?

(Kiyah starts to leave.)

SAMANTHA

Kiyah...wait...no.

(Kiyah exits kitchen. Samantha looks at Lucy and Ashley. She shrugs.)

POV: kiyah in living room sees Nate and Laura on patio, kissing.

POV: Kiyah crossing outside onto patio.

POV: Nate looking down at Laura, smiling up at him, Kiyah appears in background.

KIYAH

Really, Laura? You're doing this now!

(Laura turns and sees Kiyah.)

Laura

Kiyah...I...

KIYAH

Your friend's husband just got carted off to jail for beating her ass and your making out with her manny on the patio! Really, Laura, Really?

LAURA

Um...

(Samantha appears behind Kiyah.)

SAMANTHA

Food's ready.

Nate

Let's eat.

Fade into:

Act one, Scene Two

(The whole gang are sitting around dining room table of Lucy's kitchen. Nate is sitting at the head of the table, across from Kiyah. Laura is to the right of him and Lucy is to the right of her. Ashley and Samantha are across from Lucy and Laura. Ashley reaches for salad and begins to serve herself.)

KIYAH

I think we should take a moment.

Ashley

A moment?

KIYAH

Like, I don't know, hold hands, or something

ASHLEY

What, say grace? We're doing that now?

SAMANTHA

Do you even say grace? Like ever?

ASHLEY

What? You think 'cause I'm Asian, that I don't...that I'm Buddhist or something.

SAMANTHA

Um, no, no, not at all, that's not what I'm saying.  Just asking.

ASHLEY

Right then.

KIYAH

Can we just?

(She reaches for Samantha and Lucy's hands. They all grab hands.)

CLOSE UP: Nate and Laura's hands meet.

(Nate smiles at Laura, she looks down, blushing.)

KIYAH

So, I just want to say that we've all been through a lot recently, some more recently than others and I just want to say that no matter what, we look out for each other.Because no matter what, we're family. Even Nate.

NATE

What?

KIYAH

Um...nothing. Just that you're, like, the new guy. So...

NATE

So, what?

KIYAH

So...dig in, everybody!

(Samantha's phone buzzes with a text coming in.  Kiyah glares at her.  Samantha reaches into pocket to shut it off.)

CLOSE UP:Samantha's phone with Text from Nate

CLOSE UP: Samantha's face, excited

(Samantha silences phone and slips it into her pocket, helps herself to food, smiling silently.  She looks across the table at Laura, winks.)

LAURA

Yes, Samantha?

SAMANTHA

What?

LAURA

You winked?

SAMANTHA

Oh no, I didn't...I mean.

(She winks again.)

LAURA

You just did it again.

SAMANTHA

Look, can we talk later? Its important.

Fade into:

Act one, Scene Three

(Samantha and Laura on front patio.  Samantha hands her cellphone to Laura.)

LAURA

What's this?

SAMANTHA

Its my cellphone, duh.  I got a text from Nate, my Nate.  Thanks for making it awkward back there.  Weirdo.

LAURA

Well, you winked at me. Since when do we wink?

SAMANTHA

Since when do we not wink!  Its a code for "I got a secret", kind of thing.  Everyone knows that.

LAURA

Well, I can't ever recall a time when you ever winked at me personally--

SAMANTHA

Can you not? Look, he texted me.  He actually texted me.

LAURA

So, what did he say?

SAMANTHA

Can't you read?

LAURA

I don't know how to open your text messages, what's your password?

SAMANTHA

Oh, god dammit!

(She takes phone, punches in password, hands phone back to Laura.)

LAURA

"Hey, sorry its been so long. I've been busy--Nate."

(Laura looks over at Samantha and hands phone back to him.)

SAMANTHA

So?

LAURA

So, he's been busy?

SAMANTHA

Yeah, and he's sorry and...and...and...Laura, he's into me too.  He's into me!  We both have our Nates!

LAURA

What?

SAMANTHA

I saw you...

LAURA

Oh, yeah, that.

SAMANTHA

Wait, what the hell?

LAURA

Yeah, I don't know.

SAMANTHA

Laura!!

LAURA

I just, maybe, I rushed into things.  And, I mean, just because he texted you doesn't mean you "have" him.  A person can't really "have" another--

SAMANTHA

Hey, don't get all philosophical, just let me "have" this, okay? Just because you got your weird hang-ups and stuff!

LAURA

All right, all right.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, and what's wrong with you anyway? You looked pretty happy with Nate--

LAURA

Yeah, I guess I...just don't want to ruin things...

SAMANTHA

Ruin things? How so?

LAURA

I don't know.  And, I just don't want to rush into things, fall hard, like I always do, and end up getting fucked over in the end. You know?

SAMANTHA

Yeah, yeah.  Its always a risk.

(She looks down at her cellphone.)

Well, now I'm good and depressed.  Thanks.

LAURA

No problem.

(They hug. Kiyah, Ashley, Lucy, and Nate exit from house onto patio.)

KIYAH

You sure you don't need anything else, Lucy? You don't want someone to stay?

LUCY

No, I'll be fine.  Thank you.

KIYAH

Call if you need anything, anything at all.  Doesn't matter what time.  Okay?

LUCY

Okay. I will, mother.

KIYAH

Why does everyone keep saying that?

(She laughs and hugs Lucy.)

LUCY

Nate will be just across the yard,if I need anything too.

KIYAH

Huh.  Don't know what I think about that.

NATE

What?

(Kiyah stares down Nate, he ducks his head and moves over toward Laura, who blushes.)

Hey, Laura.

LAURA

Yeah.

(Nate moves to hug Laura, she responds.  He tries to kiss her and she moves away, his kiss lands on her shoulder.)

NATE

Everything okay?

LAURA

Yeah, I mean, just have a lot to think about.

NATE

Oh, okay.

LAURA

I'm really sorry...I'm not trying to--

NATE

Its fine. Really, it is.

LAURA

Okay.  I'll text you or something.

NATE

Okay, great.

(Laura heads toward Kiyah's car with Samantha.  Kiyah starts to follow.)

KIYAH

Need a lift, Ashley?

ASHLEY

Yes, please.

(Kiyah follows Laura and Samantha.  Ashley turns to Nate.)

ASHLEY

Hang in there, all right?

NATE

Okay, thanks, I guess.

ASHLEY

Just be patient with her, I mean.  She's worth it.

NATE

I hope you're right.

ASHLEY

I am. I always am.

(Ashley heads to Kiyah's car.  She gets into passenger side.  Samantha is in the back seat, Laura is about to climb in beside her.)

NATE

See you later, Laura.

(Laura turns to him, smiles shyly, then gets in, closes the door.  She looks out the window as the car drives away and turns and looks back at him as the car moves away.)

(Nate leans against patio railing and watches car as it drives away. Lucy exits into house.)

(After car has driven off, Nate crosses into house.)

Fade into:

Lucy's living room.

(Nate enters living room, Lucy is sitting dejectedly on the couch.)

NATE

Care for a little company?

LUCY

Yeah, I guess.

(Nate crosses and sits next to her.)

NATE

You gonna be okay tonight? I can stay if you--

LUCY

Um, look, I don't want to, I mean, I'm still married, I'm flattered though--

NATE

Wait, what? No, I meant as a friend, I'd stay on the couch, if anything.

LUCY

Oh, oh.  I'm sorry.  I guess I'm rusty at this, eh, the dating thing, never was any good at it though, no big surprise there.

NATE

Hey, stop that, okay?

LUCY

What?

NATE

Stop putting yourself down, okay? You are awesome, okay? I haven't known you that long except for the emails that got me here and these last couple weeks but, Lucy, you own your own business, you run it and this house, you are an awesome mom--

LUCY

Really? An awesome mom?

NATE

Yeah, the kids love you! They really do!

LUCY

Really? Thanks, Nate.

NATE

Yeah, Eddie's just...just a big loser and creep, if you ask me.

LUCY

Heh.

NATE

Sorry I...I guess I don't know what to say either.

LUCY

No, its fine.  You want something? Glass of wine?

(She rises.)

NATE

Sure.  Need help with anything?

(He rises and follows her in the kitchen.)

LUCY

I think Kiyah got everyone to clean up. She's wonderful like that.  Everyone's mother.

NATE

Yeah, yeah, I guess.

Fade Into:

Lucy's kitchen.

(Lucy is in the kitchen, pouring two glasses of wine.  Nate is leaning against the counter.)

LUCY

Huh? Yeah, she can be kind of protective, well, super protective, I guess.

NATE

Huh?

LUCY

I noticed she was pretty shrill with you over whatever with you and Laura.

NATE

Whatever with me and Laura.

LUCY

Its just that, its like Ashley said, just hang in there.

(She hands him a glass of wine.  He takes it.)

NATE

Yeah, whatever, I guess.  Oh my god!

LUCY

What?

NATE

I don't think I ever gave her my phone number.

LUCY

So?

NATE

So, she said she'd text and--

LUCY

And?

NATE

How is she going do that? God, Nate, how could you be so stupid?

LUCY

How do you mean?

NATE

That's such a put off line.  "I'll text you", when she doesn't even have my number. God, Nate, so stupid.

LUCY

Okay, now its my turn to tell you to stop!  Look, Laura's had it rough when it comes to guys...Sigh.  We all have.  She's just a little guarded. Give her a chance.

NATE

Whatever.

LUCY

No, really. Trust me on this one.  I don't know why I still believe in love, but I do.  I mean, I want my friends' to be happy.  Look, I have her number if you want it.

NATE

Really? Maybe, I don't know.  I don't want to seem too pushy or eager or...

LUCY

Games, games, games!  Just, I don't know, take a risk, all right, god dammit!

NATE

Okay, okay.

LUCY

To the risk!

NATE

To the risk!

(They raise their glasses and connect them, then drink.)




No comments:

Post a Comment