Monday, April 24, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act One, Scene Four

Exterior: Street near Kiyah's house

(Kiyah, Lucy, Samantha, and Laura are power-walking  together.)

LUCY

So, look's like I got full custody--

KIYAH

Congratulations!

LUCY

Yeah, but there is still supervised visitations with Eddie, so--

KIYAH

Fuck.

SAMANTHA

I don't know, I mean, Eddie's a bastard, but kids need to have their dad---

KIYAH

This from the girl who lets her own son crash more at his grandparents' house then her own!

SAMANTHA

Hey!  I told you, its just until I get my life together--

KIYAH

Right.

LUCY

Come on, Kiyah.  Be nice.

KIYAH

Right.  Sorry, whatever.

LAURA

What's with you lately, Kiyah?

Samantha

I'm just saying, I would do anything to have some time with my dad, after he left, I never saw him again.

LAURA

Maybe that's why you have such issues with guys?

SAMANTHA

I've already come to that conclusion personally.

LAURA

Right.

KIYAH

I don't know, Laura.  I've just been thinking...I feel like I'm just floating here, stagnate, you know...I don't know what I'm doing with my life, where I'm going...my purpose, you know.

LAURA

So, you take it all out on us? Why?

KIYAH

Eh.  Look, Laura, I'm sorry, I just...I guess I liked Nate more than I thought.

LAURA

Well, you have nothing to worry about that.  I think I'm through with Nate anyway.  You dodged a bullet there, trust me, Kiyah! Pray the Nate away!

KIYAH

What happened?

SAMANTHA

I don't know.  Nate finally got back to me...my Nate, I mean.

LUCY

And?

SAMANTHA

I think I'm ready for him to meet Jimmy, speaking of my son.

LUCY

Wow, that's a big step, Samantha.  How do you feel about that?

SAMANTHA

Excited, nervous.  I mean, there is always that fear, you know, what if this happens, or whatever...but sometimes you got to leap even when you don't know there is a safety net...or something.

LUCY

Yeah.  I don't know if I ever will be there again.

SAMANTHA

Someday you will.  There is someone out there for you.

LUCY

Ha.  I just want to get through the day without breaking down right now.

SAMANTHA

Sounds like a deal.

KIYAH

So, Laura, what do you mean, 'dodged a bullet'?

LAURA

Nate waited until after we...slept together...to tell me about Ashley.

KIYAH

What? After? You're kidding me, right?

LAURA

No, right, and only because Samantha texted me.

KIYAH

Knew he was a jerk.

LUCY

Speaking of crazy Nates, my neighbor is back, remember my neighbor Nate? Anyway, I guess his wife left him for some other guy or something.

KIYAH

Well, serves the Nates right.

SAMANTHA

What?

KIYAH

Nates are bad news.  We are being inundated with Nates!

LAURA

Pray the Nates away!

SAMANTHA

Hey, wait!

KIYAH AND LAURA

Pray the Nates away!

SAMANTHA

Wait, you and Nate slept together.

Fade out.

No comments:

Post a Comment