Friday, April 14, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act Two, scene Two

Exterior: Farmer's Market

(Samantha and Laura are jogging on the street.)

SAMANTHA

Oh, the market! Let's stop here a minute.

LAURA

You just want to see your Nate!

SAMANTHA

Do you blame me?

(The girls move into the market and head to Nate2's booth.)

Interior: Nate2's Vegetable Booth.

NATE2

Hey there, its you!

SAMANTHA

Its me! How are you?

NATE2

Good. Did you get my text?

SAMANTHA

I got your text.  I sent you one back, did you get it?

NATE2

I don't think so.  Damn technology. So? You want anything?

SAMANTHA

Definitely.

(Laura spots Nate a few booths over.  She tugs on Samantha's sleeve, Samantha looks at her, Laura motions towards Nate, and Samantha spots Nate at the other booth.)

NATE2

So, you free later? Want to hang out? Coffee?

SAMANTHA

Yes!

(to Nate at the other booth.)

Hey Nate!

(Laura cringes.)

NATE2

Nate?

(Nate looks up and sees Laura and Samantha, he smiles sheepishly but doesn't move.)

SAMANTHA

Come over here, Nate.

(Nate cautiously makes his way over to Laura and Samantha.)

Nate, this is...uh...Nate.

NATE2

Hey.

NATE

Hi! How are you?

SAMANTHA

Uh, Nate is Laura's...friend.

(Laura grabs Samantha and pulls her aside.)

LAURA

OMG! What are you doing?

SAMANTHA

What? My Nate thought that Your Nate was My Nate too so I had to...he is your Nate, sort of, isn't he?

LAURA

I just haven't talked to him since...

SAMANTHA

So, now's your chance.

LAURA

Its just awkward.

SAMANTHA

It doesn't have to be.

(Samantha puts her arm around Laura and leads her back to the Nates.)

So, coffee later? I'd love that.

NATE2

Downtown grounds? 2 pm?

SAMANTHA

I'll be there.

NATE

Hey there, Laura.

LAURA

Um, hi.

(They start to walk away slowly.)

NATE

How've you been?

LAURA

Good. I'm sorry I've been so...distant. This isn't easy for me.

NATE

This?

LAURA

This....thing.  Dating...relationships...Love.  Its hard.

NATE

Oh I see.

LAURA

Trust issues, you know?

NATE

Yeah, I know.

(Their eyes meet, they walk in silence for a moment.)

LAURA

Bell ringing for you?

NATE

Loudly, yes.

LAURA

Mine too.

NATE

You have a bell too?

LAURA

Oh yeah.

NATE

I guess that explains the ringtone.

LAURA

Oh yeah.  I tried to smother it because...

NATE

Yeah.

LAURA

Because I'm weird.

NATE

Yeah.

LAURA

Hey!

NATE

I'm kidding.

LAURA

When I let the bell just be...a bell...its so easy. To talk to you.

NATE

Be with you.

LAURA

Yeah, no explanation needed.  Just is what it is.

NATE

Yeah.  Coffee?

LAURA

I'd like that.

(They head to the coffee booth.)

BARISTA

Hi there! What can I get for you? Oh, its you guys again!

NATE

Yeah, its us.  How are you?

BARISTA

Doing well.  Where's the little one?

NATE

With his grandma.

BARISTA

How are you?

NATE

Doing wonderful.  We're letting bells be bells.

(He reaches for Laura's hand, she takes it.  They smile at each other and stand there holding hands.)

BARISTA

Ah, I see.  So, what do you want then?

NATE

Um, two lattes please?

LAURA

Yeah, I'd love a latte.

(Nate hands the barista his debit card, she takes it.)

BARISTA

Right. I'll get right on that.

(Barista starts preparing drinks. Nate turns to Laura.  He smiles at her, she smiles at him.)

Fade INTO:

(Ashley, in drug store, pushing cart down aisle.  She stops and surveys shelves before her.)

POV: Ashley, shelves filled with pregnancy tests, Condoms, etc.

Camera Pans Into One Pregnancy Test, Ashley picks it up

CLOSE UP: Ashley's face, she sighs.

Fade into: Farmer's Market

(Nate and Laura walking hand in hand, carrying lattes, smiling at each other, talking happily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment