Monday, April 17, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act One, Scene two

Exterior: Lucy's backyard

(Same day)

(Lucy and the kids are playing together in the backyard.)

NATE3

Hey, Lucy! Hey kids!

LUCY

Nate? You're back?

NATE3

For a bit, yeah.

LUCY

What happened with...um...Kim?

NATE3

Well, she left.

LUCY

She left?

NATE3

For another guy.  Yep.  Sucks, huh?

LUCY

Yeah, sorry to hear that.  She doesn't deserve you!

NATE3

Heard you have made some...changes to, huh?

LUCY

Um, yeah.

NATE3

For the better, Lucy, for the better.

(Nate exits granny unit.)

If it isn't my buddy, my name-sake, Nate!

NATE

Hi.

NATE3

Why the long face, man?

LUCY

What's up, Nate? You okay?

NATE

Just got some really weird news earlier and...you know, kind of miss Laura.

Adam

Nate, push me on the swing!

NATE

Okay, buddy, here I come.

LUCY

Weird news?

NATE

Yeah, I don't think I should say.

NATE3

Suit yourself.

NATE

How are you doing, Lucy?

LUCY

Hanging in there, best I can.  Just trying to get some time with my little men.

NATE

Yeah, that's awesome.

LUCY

The only men I really need in my life! They'll never let me down.

NATE

True.

LUCY

Well, there's you.  My Stephen, My Adam, and My Manny.  That's all the guys I need.

NATE3

And me?

LUCY

Oh, yes, my neighbor.

CUTAWAY: Kiyah's living room.

(Kiyah sits in arm-chair, reading.  Samantha lays on the couch, looking at her phone.  There is a knock at the door.)

KIYAH

Who is it?

ASHLEY

Its me!

KIYAH

Come in, Ashley!

(Ashley enters and collapses on the floor near the couch.)

You okay, hon?

ASHLEY

I just had to do the hardest, weirdest thing ever.

SAMANTHA

Yeah? Was it waiting for the guy you've been sleeping to text you while pretending you aren't waiting?

ASHLEY

Um, no. Not that at all.

SAMANTHA

Oh. I see.

KIYAH

You want to talk about it, hon?

ASHLEY

I don't know...no, not really.

KIYAH

Okay. But if you do?

ASHLEY

Got it.

SAMANTHA

We could do some pre-production stuff on the show.  Laura should be back in a few days, we'll be able to start shooting some scenes with her and Nate--

ASHLEY

Her and Nate.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, they're like a thing now.  Its pretty awesome.

ASHLEY

Well, that's just swell.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, it is.  So, I was thinking we could start with all the interior scenes, using this place here for the main living area, what say you?

ASHLEY

How long have they been a thing?

SAMANTHA

Not long. I mean, its really new and then she had to go down south for her dad's funeral.  But, yeah, whatever, I thought you were cool with it.  You don't think you like him now, do you?

ASHLEY

No, no.

SAMANTHA

Then?

ASHLEY

Um, yeah...I don't know.  I'm happy for them, I guess.

SAMANTHA

Okay.  So, anyway, I was making some notes and came up with a shot list

(She sits up and picks up binder on coffee table, opens it.)

So, if you want to just check this over and let me know what you think.

ASHLEY

(looks over notes in binder for a few minutes)

I think I'm pregnant!!!!

KIYAH

What the hell?

SAMANTHA

Yeah, what the hell?

KIYAH

Is it...Nate's?

ASHLEY

Who else would it be?

KIYAH

Right.  That little bastard.

SAMANTHA

Does he know?

ASHLEY

Yeah, I told him. Just now.

KIYAH

And?

ASHLEY

He seemed kind of like he wanted to just take care of it, you know.

KIYAH

That little---

SAMANTHA

Guess the praying the Nate away wasn't that effective.

Fade into: Lucy's backyard, kids are playing in the backyard, Nate is pushing Adam on swing, Nate3 is standing behind fence, watching and laughing with them.

(Kiyah's car pulls into driveway. Kiyah gets out, along with Samantha, and then after a minute, Ashley.)

KIYAH

Where is he? Where is that little---

LUCY

Who? What is it, Kiyah?

(Kiyah sees Nate pushing Adam on swing.)

KIYAH

Nate, come over here this minute.

NATE3

Me?

NATE

Me?

LUCY

What is it, Kiyah? Why are you talking to my manny like he's a misbehaving kid?

KIYAH

Why don't you tell him, Nate?

(Ashley and Samantha get out of the car and starts walking towards them.  Ashley sees Nate3.)

ASHLEY

Nate?

NATE AND NATE3

Ashley?



No comments:

Post a Comment