Thursday, April 13, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act Two, Scene One

Interior: Lucy and Kiyah's shop.

(Kiyah and Laura are behind the counter, POV: Nate.  Laura looks down and starts folding a t-shirt.)

KIYAH

Nate.

NATE

Yeah, hi.  Lucy wanted me to come by and, um,

(He glances over at Laura, who keeps her head down, hiding her embarrassment, the fact that she is blushing.)

See how things were.

KIYAH

Yeah, uh huh, Lucy did, did she?

NATE

Um, yeah.

KIYAH

How is she? Lucy, that is.

NATE

She's...hanging in there.  We talked a lot last night, I stayed over--

(Kiyah coughs, Laura sighs.)

On the couch!  She cried most of the night, I think she slept a bit.  But...

(He looks at Laura, who unfolds shirt, then starts re-folding it.)

Yeah, so she wanted me to come by and see how things were...here...with the shop...and all.

KIYAH

Right.  She did.  Kids still with her mom?

NATE

Um, yeah, of course.  Otherwise they'd be with me, right?

KIYAH

Right.

(She looks at Laura.  Nate looks at Laura.  Laura unfolds and then refolds shirt, doesn't look at either of them.)

So? Is that all?

NATE

Um, I...guess so.

KIYAH

Okay, so....

Nate

So...I guess I'll just go.

(He waits.  He and Kiyah stare at each other, they look at Laura, she sighs and then unfolds, refolds shirt.)

Okay, bye.

KIYAH

Yeah, see you around.

(He exits store.)

CUTAWAY:Nate right outside store, shaking his head, looking up, saying to himself, "what?"

Cutaway: Kiyah and Laura in store behind counter

KIYAH

Well, that was slightly awkward.

LAURA

What?

KIYAH

Well, maybe not just slightly. Maybe like completely awkward.

LAURA

Sorry...boys on the side, right?

KIYAH

Yeah, but.  I mean, you gonna ever talk to him again or...?

LAURA

I said I was sorry.

KIYAH

Yeah, its just kind of...

LAURA

Kind of...what?

KIYAH

Well, a bit childish.

LAURA

Oh, well, god, I'm sorry.

KIYAH

What's the big deal anyway? I mean, you like him, he likes you, I get that now.

LAURA

Yeah, but you said, you wanted, I--

KIYAH

Yeah, yeah.  Boys on the side, of course.  But, why the 'cat got your tongue' thing all of a sudden? What the hell, Laura?

LAURA

What the hell? I just...it was bad with Scott, you know.  I couldn't...anything...at all without...and even before Scott, with others.  It was always that arreway.  I'm just, you know, just damaged goods.

KIYAH

Um, first of all, no, you're not.  Second of all, you think Nate is going to be that way? You think that every relationship will always be like that? This is a serious question, Laura.

LAURA

Yeah, I guess...I guess I feel that way.  Yeah.

KIYAH

Well, that really sucks, Laura, majorly.

LAURA

Tell me about it.  Damaged goods, I tell you.

Cutaway: Ashley at College Cafeteria, with a tray at a food bar.

(Ashley surveys the food types.  Server waits for her to tell him what she wants, she stares growing more and more green.)

SERVER

You gonna order something or just admire the arrangement?

(Ashley looks over food, grabs her mouth to stop vomit, turns and runs off hurriedly, leaves tray.)

Cutaway: Ashley running to bathroom, opens door, runs in.

CLOSE UP: Bathroom door

Cutaway: bathroom, Ashley's feet peeking out under stall door.

(Ashley is heard vomiting in stall.)

CUTAWAY:Server

SERVER

Well, that's a fine how do you do?

(Server continues work, serving other customers.)


No comments:

Post a Comment