Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Cafe-Girl: The Tru Story



Act One, Scene One

Interior: Coffee Shop, Willow, a tall, blonde man in his early twenties, stands behind the counter, staring into space.  Around him at the cafe sit a bustle of customers, busy with their lives, sipping their drinks, reading their books, typing at their computers.

Willow sighs and rests his head on his hand, his head starts to nod slowly, his eyes slowly close.  He falls asleep.

Enter Tru, a slightly older woman in her early to mid thirties.  She's dressed rather hippie like, with her dreaded hair pulled up into a bun.

She approaches the counter and laughs.

Tru

Aw, come on, is it really that boring here?

(Willow wakes up.)

Willow

What? What? I wasn't asleep--

TRU

Sure.  Not had enough caffeine, huh?

WILLOW

Maybe not.

TRU

You don't partake of your own product, you don't taste your own wares, you don't sample the drug?

WILLOW

Well, yeah, I do, its just...wait, what? Drugs?

TRU

That's kind of what you are, a drug dealer.

WILLOW

How do you figure?

TRU

Isn't caffeine a drug?

WILLOW

It has its benefits.

TRU

Yeah but so do other drugs, mind you.

WILLOW

Mainly?

TRU

Well, we live in Oregon, use your imagination.

(Willow laughs.)

WILLOW

Get you anything? And, yes, I do.  Sample my own.

TRU

Sample your own? Huh? That sounds like a euphenism for well, you know.

WILLOW

For what? Masturbation?

TRU

Yeah, well, I wasn't going to say---

WILLOW

Why?

TRU

I just met you.  I haven't even ordered, I don't even know your name and already we are talking about what you do in private...

WILLOW

Its Will, actually.

TRU

Come again.

WILLOW

Will, my name.  Call me Will.

TRU

Nice.  Will, I like it.  Hello William, I'm Tru.

WILLOW

Not William.  Just Will. Get you anything?

TRU

Well, since you sample your own, what do you recommend?

WILLOW

Are we still refering to or...no, well, I recommend the sumatra, if you like dark, which I do.

TRU

So, you like it dark, huh? Me too. I'll take a medium then, to go.

WILLOW

Ahhh.

TRU

Problem?

WILLOW

To go? You sure?

TRU

Yeah, I got places to be, people to do, maybe, yeah.  So? We'll see each other again, William--Just Will, I mean.

WILLOW

Awesome.

(They complete transaction, money/card/coffee. Tru smiles at him, heads over for cream, pours cream in cup, puts lid on cup, then turns back to him.)

TRU

Bye for now.

WILLOW

See you later, Tru.

(Tru exits.  Willow stands behind counter, he puts his head on his hands and looks outward, a smile slowly spreads across his face.)


No comments:

Post a Comment