Sunday, April 16, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met (Season Three)


Act ONe, Scene One

Interior: Ashley's bathroom.

(Ashley sits on the toilet, pants around her ankles.  She holds pregnancy test in front of her, opens box, throws carton on ground, reads over directions, tosses the aside, and sticks stick underneath herself.  She sighs.)

Cut to: Ashley sitting on bathtub, fully dressed, holding stick, staring at it.

Fade out.

Interior: Funeral Home

(Laura and her mother and sisters are in a long procession line in the foyer of the building.  Mourners, friends, family, are walking by and giving their condolences.)

MRS.MURPHY

Laura, who is that young man in blue jeans and blazer?

LAURA

Where?

MRS. MURPHY

Over there.  No, don't stare.  How could wear that to your father's--

LAURA

Oh, Jacob!

MRS. MURPHY

Jacob?

LAURA

Remember, Jacob Wellington from my class?

MRS. MURPHY

Oh, I guess so.  But how could he wear such things?

(Laura leaves procession line and heads over to Jacob.)

LAURA

Hey, Jacob?

JACOB

Yeah? Laura? Laura!  I'm sorry for your loss.

LAURA

Yeah, yeah, thanks.

JACOB

How are you?

LAURA

Considering current events, not so bad.  Yourself?

JACOB

Doing all right.  Living in the city, working.  Living the dream, I guess. What about you?

LAURA

Up north, in Oregon, still.

JACOB

Awesome.  Oregon is beautiful.

LAURA

Yeah, it is.

(Their eyes meet.)

JACOB

So, you remember that time outside of town, on the outlook? We got really drunk on cheap wine you stole from your dad's liquor cabinet--

LAURA

And sang Depeche Mode songs at the top of our lungs to see if it could reach across the entire valley?

JACOB

Yeah. That time.

LAURA

Good times!

JACOB

We should hang out...while you are here...I mean, I would really like that.

LAURA

Yeah, me too, actually.

JACOB

What are you doing now?

LAURA

Eh, family stuff, all night...

(She looks over at her family.)

Wide: Laura's sisters and Mother, Mrs. Murphy, now in a circle, gossiping, fighting

On second thought, want to get out of here?

JACOB

I'd love that.  The outlook?

LAURA

I'm sure there is still some cheap wine left over from my da...I'll just get my purse.

JACOB

Okay, I'll be here.

Cut to: Laura and Jacob sitting on the Trunk of Jacob's car, over-looking the city below, the radio plays in the car behind them, sipping out of a wine bottle. It is late afternoon, about 5:00, sun is just about to set.

LAURA

So, what are you doing in the city?

JACOB

Web design mostly, for, you know, CBS.

LAURA

CBS? Oh my god, Jacob, you hit the big time!

JACOB

Its nothing really.  Thanks.

LAURA

Wow, my lil buddy, Jacob working for CBS!

JACOB

Eh? Lil buddy?

LAURA

Yeah.

(They both laugh.)

JACOB

So, what about you?

LAURA

Eh? Still trying to sort that out, actually.  Working in my friends' shop, yay!

JACOB

Well, as long as you are happy!

(Their eyes meet.)

LAURA

Yeah, thank you.  I am, for the most part.

JACOB

For the most part?

LAURA

Well considering current events...

JACOB

Current events?

LAURA

My dad just died, for one.

JACOB

Yeah.  Huh.  Ed Murphy. Gone. I remember him coaching us in little league, he was always such hard ass with me.

LAURA

Well, you should have seen him helping me with my math homework!

JACOB

Yeah?

LAURA

It was...brutal, that's all I will say.  You know what I keep thinking about, though, how he'll never get to walk me down the aisle, I mean, not sure if I will ever do that, but he always said how much he looked forward to that.  Its strange after everything that happened in my relationship with my father, how strained it was at times, I recall that about him.

JACOB

Huh.  Yeah, that's rough.

(He hands her the bottle of wine.)

So, you seeing anyone now?

LAURA

What?

JACOB

Well, you mentioned the aisle walking and not sure if you would ever do that...oh never mind, sorry, none of my business.

LAURA

No, its fine, its fine.  Um, well, I just got out of a pretty fucked up relationship actually, so---

JACOB

Oh, gotcha. Its just that, we were always friends and--

LAURA

Best friends! You were my best friend in high school!

JACOB

Yeah, best friends.  And, I just always wondered what it would be like...

LAURA

It?

JACOB

Yeah, you know, it.  Didn't you ever wonder that?

LAURA

I don't know, um...

(Personal Jesus starts playing in the background.)

Depeche Mode!  Ready?

Laura and Jacob

(singing with radio)

Reach out and touch faith Your own personal Jesus Someone to hear your prayers Someone who cares Your own personal Jesus Someone to hear your prayers Someone who's there Feeling unknown And you're all alone Flesh and bone By the telephone Lift up the receiver I'll make you a believer Take second best Put me to the test Things on your chest You need to confess

I will deliver You know I'm a forgiver Reach out and touch faith Reach out and touch faith Your own personal Jesus Someone to hear your prayers Someone who cares Your own personal Jesus Someone to hear your prayers Someone who's there

Feeling unknown And you're all alone Flesh and bone By the telephone Lift up the receiver I'll make you a believer

I will deliver You know I'm a forgiver Reach out and touch faith Your own personal Jesus Reach out and touch faith Reach out and touch faith Reach out and touch faith Reach out reach out Reach out and touch faith Reach out and touch faith.

(They both laugh. Laura shivers.)

JACOB

Cold?

LAURA

Not really. Just thinking about...hey, I should probably get back...I'm sorry.

JACOB

Its all right.

Cut to: Interior: Jacob's car, Laura in passenger seat.

(Laura is rummaging through her purse.)

LAURA

Shit, I can't find my phone.

Cutaway: Same time of day, Ashley sits in a park, on a bench. There are children playing on a playground, mothers with babies, Ashley watches all of it.

Enter Nate.

NATE

Ashley? You said you wanted to meet me?

ASHLEY

Yeah, uh, sit down, Nate.

(Nate sits on the end of the bench.)

NATE

So?

ASHLEY

Well, um, I've got some news.

CUTAWAY: Jacob's car

JACOB

You remember the last place you had it?

LAURA

God, I don't know, maybe.  The funeral home? I don't know.  God, I hate it when I do this.

JACOB

Yeah, me too.  You want to go find it?

LAURA

Some adventure!

JACOB

Yeah, but it still is.

CUTAWAY: The park bench, with Ashley and Nate.  They watch the children playing on the playground.  Ashley sighs.

ASHLEY

So, I've been kind of sick lately.

NATE

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that.

ASHLEY

Yeah, kind of random, so...so I bought a pregnancy test.

NATE

Um, yeah...?

ASHLEY

Yeah and yeah.

CUTAWAY: Children playing on playground, Mothers lifting babies up, pushing them in strollers, fathers swinging their children around

Cut to: Nate's face, in shock

NATE

So, um, now what?

ASHLEY

Ha! Well, I'm going to Planned Parenthood for an official test, just to be sure, it could have been a, what do they call it, a false pregnancy or whatever.  Hopefully.

NATE

Yeah, hopefully.

ASHLEY

Huh? Oh, never mind.

NATE

For what its worth, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...

ASHLEY

Its okay, Nate.  It wasn't planned or anything, you didn't mean, I didn't mean...

NATE

For this to happen.  Any of this. Listen if you need anything, anything at all, I'm here.

ASHLEY

Thanks, Nate.  That's sweet of you.

CUTAWAY: Exterior of Funeral home

(Laura comes running out of the building, crosses to Jacob's car. She gets in.)

Interior: Jacob's car.

JACOB

So, any luck?

LAURA

No, not there. Crap, this sucks so hard.

JACOB

Where else were you?

LAURA

Um, we stopped at the Safeway for flowers and stuff.

JACOB

Right then. Let's go.

Cutaway: Interior Safeway, check out counter.

LAURA

Hi, did anyone bring it a lost phone? I think I left mine here.

CHECKERGIRL

Um, yeah, no, I don't think so.

JACOB

You don't think so or they didn't?

CHECKERGIRL

Um, yeah, no.

LAURA

Um, yeah, thanks.

Cutaway: Interior: Jacob's car

JACOB

So, what now?

LAURA

I don't know.

(Laura looks over at Jacob.)

I always wondered too.

JACOB

About?

LAURA

What it would be like.

JACOB

Yeah?

(He leans into her, she leans into him.)

LAURA

Yeah, I did.

(They look at each other, then slowly move in, and kiss.  Laura's cell-phone rings somewhere in the car, its the bells.)

(Laura pulls away.)

LAURA

My phone!

JACOB

It was in the car the whole time?

LAURA

Yeah, sorry.  We have to find it.  I have to find it. Its really important.

(Laura's looking all over the car, under the seat, she finds it, answers before it stops ringing.)

Hello?

CUTAWAY: Nate's Granny unit

NATE

Hey, Laura.

LAURA

Hi.

CUTAWAY: Jacob's car.

NATE

I just...wanted to see how things  are doing there...things are kind of weird here, I mean, um, I wanted to hear your voice, is all.

LAURA

Ah. I'm doing all right.  Its good to hear your voice too, Nate.

Cutaway: Nate's Granny Unit.

NATE

I can't wait to see you.

Cutaway: Jacob's car.

LAURA

Yeah, me too.  But, I can't really talk right now though.

NATE

In a few days?

LAURA

I'll call you soon.

Cutaway: Nate's Granny unit.

NATE

Okay, talk then, Laura. Bye.

Laura

Bye.

Cutaway: jacob's car, Laura smiling to herself.

JACOB

So, drive you home?

LAURA

Yeah, yes please, could you.

(Jacob starts the car, after awhile of driving he speaks.)

JACOB

So, whose Nate?


No comments:

Post a Comment