Saturday, April 15, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met



Act Two, Scene Three

Exterior: Outside Kiyah's house, same day.

(Laura, in work out clothes, carrying latte, walks hand in hand with Nate, with latte.  They are laughing and enjoying each others company.)

NATE

So, can I call you?

LAURA

Yeah, I'd like that.  My number--

NATE

I have it.

LAURA

How?

NATE

Lucy.

LAURA

Ah.  So, um--

NATE

What are you doing later?

LAURA

Later?

NATE

Like, you want to hang out again or---

LAURA

Yeah, that could be fun.

NATE

Could be?

LAURA

Yeah, could be. I might have some time tomorrow...another day off, two in a row!

NATE

Nice.

LAURA

Yeah, so maybe we can hang out, then, yeah?

NATE

Yeah.

Fade Into:

Interior: Kiyah's living room.

(Kiyah is on phone, pacing.)

KIYAH

Oh my god...no...yeah...yeah.  Okay, what time?...No, no, don't even think about...I'll be there.  Of course, of course....no, don't do that...Luc...love you too, hon.  See you tomorrow.

(Kiyah hangs up, turns and sees Laura and Nate enter, laughing. She freezes emotionally when she sees them, they stop awkwardly, she shakes herself.)

Hey, Laura.  Nate.  Look, that was Lucy, she's got to go talk to the lawyer about Eddie shit tomorrow and wants me to come along for support, you know.  So, sorry to have to do this, but do you think you can cover my shift? I'll make it up to you.

LAURA

Yeah, um, of course.  Anything for Lucy.  So, she's seeing a lawyer?

KIYAH

Custody battles and all the fun.  I hope the creep loses everything, serves him right.

LUCY

Yeah.

NATE

So, I'll have to watch the kids?

KIYAH

You'll have to ask Lucy, but yeah, you will probably have to do your job instead of--

Nate

Instead of...what?

KIYAH

Nothing, nothing. I was just...nothing.

NATE

Okay...?  So, maybe not tomorrow, then, Laura...

LAURA

How about tomorrow night?

KIYAH

Tomorrow night?

NATE

Yeah.  Dinner? My treat.

LAURA

Wow, yeah, that'd be great. What time?

NATE

Can you come to my place around, I don't know, 7? I make the world's best lasagna.

LAURA

Can't wait to be the judge of that!

NATE

So, see you then.

LAURA

Yeah.

(They smile at each other, then turn to look at Kiyah, awkwardly, waiting to see if she will leave the room.  She doesn't, so they share a quick hug.)

NATE

Well, bye.

LAURA

Bye.

(Nate exits front door.)

KIYAH

Wait, what the hell just happened? Were you actually talking to Nate?

LAURA

Yeah...

KIYAH

In my living room? Talking to him?

LAURA

Yeah...

KIYAH

And, did you actually just make a real live date, in my living room, talking to Nate?

LAURA

Yeah.

KIYAH

Wow.  That's an improvement.

LAURA

Yeah, well blame Samantha.

Fade Into:

Interior: Law offices, a desk, two chairs.  Mrs. Beasly and Lucy sit in chairs, Mr. Edward Flinch sits behind desk, an older tired man who has been practicing law for many years, he's seen it all, and just wishes for the end to come.  Through the window of his office, Kiyah can be seen in the lobby waiting.

LUCY

So, what you are saying is that its impossible to gain full custody of my kids---

EDWARD FLINCH

Impossible, no.  Uphill battle, yes.  You will have to prove that he is unfit to parent--

LUCY

He's a violent alcoholic who hasn't held a job in years.

EDWARD FLINCH

You'd be surprised what people can get away with when they put a mind to it.  At best, we can try for 100% custody with supervised visits from the father.

LUCY

I don't know.

MRS. BEASLEY

Hear the man out, Luc.

EDWARD FLINCH

For any other attorney, that'd satisfy.  But, you are dealing with Edward Flinch, I'm no novice, Lucy, I can provide you above what you require.

LUCY

Wow, uh, thank you.

MRS. BEASLEY

Don't worry about the cost, Luc.  We just need to keep you and my grand-babies safe.

LUCY

Um, all right.

EDWARD FLINCH

So, paperwork, timeline, let's talk.

Fade into:

Interior: Lobby of Law Offices

(Lucy and Mrs. Beasley walk out of office.  Lucy is a little stunned.  Kiyah approaches her, hugs her.)

KIYAH

You okay?

LUCY

I don't know.

KIYAH

Need a drink?

LUCY

Yeah, I think so.  Nate can watch the kids tonight, probably, right?

KIYAH

Oh yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

LUCY

I'll just send him a text.

KIYAH

You do that.

MRS. BEASLEY

Thanks for looking after her, Kiyah.  You are a good friend.

KIYAH

I do my best.

MRS. BEASLEY

You are wonderful.

LUCY

Nate just texted me, he said he made plans tonight?

KIYAH

Well.

LUCY

It is technically his time off.

KIYAH

Yeah, but you are his boss. So?

MRS. BEASLEY

I could watch--

KIYAH

So, he has to do what you say, kind of, you know.

LUCY

You wouldn't mind, Mom? Yeah, Kiyah, but I don't want to be that kind of boss.  He's already gone over and above what I asked of him.

MRS. BEASLEY

No, its no problem at all.

KIYAH

No, of course not.

Fade Into:

Interior: Nate2's bedroom

(Samantha is asleep, Nate2 rolls over and kisses her face.)

SAMANTHA

Oh, good morning.

NATE2

Yes, yes it is.

SAMANTHA

You are incorrigible.

NATE2

And, so are you.

(They start to make-out.)

Fade into: Lucy and Kiyah's store, an hour later.

(Laura is putting clothes away on the rack, no customers, she is walking listlessly around store, trying to keep busy, make the time go by.  Samantha bangs on the window, startling Laura, Samantha waves enthusiastically.  Laura signals for her to come in.)

(Enter Samantha.)

LAURA

Geez, Samantha, what's going on? Wait a minute, aren't those the same clothes you wore for your coffee date with Nate...oh my god, you didn't?

SAMANTHA

It was quite the coffee date!

Laura

Well, we are quite the different species, aren't we?

SAMANTHA

How so? Oh, because I go all in and you hesitate like woah.

LAURA

Yeah, something like that.

SAMANTHA

So, Nate...my Nate, is playing with his band tonight at the Palisades.  You want to come with?

LAURA

Uh, I can't.

SAMANTHA

Okay, maybe I'll ask Ashley.  Haven't seen her in awhile? I wonder what's up with that girl.  Eh, maybe busy with school...wait, why can't you?

LAURA

I, um, am having dinner with, um, Nate.

SAMANTHA

Your Nate?

LAURA

Yeah, yeah...my Nate.

SAMANTHA

High five.

LAURA

Really? We're doing that.

SAMANTHA

Just humor me.

(They high five.)

Fade into: Backyard of Lucy's house

(Mrs. Beasley approaches Nate's granny unit.  A young man pops his head over neighbor's gate.)

NATE3

Hey there, Mrs B.  How's Lucy and Eddie and the kids?

MRS. BEASLEY

Lucy and the kids are hanging in there.  Eddie isn't around anymore.

NATE3

Wow,I'm sorry to hear about that.

MRS.BEASLEY

I'm not.

(Nate comes out of his granny unit, with Stephen and Adam.)

ADAM

Grandma!!

MRS.BEASLEY

Hello sweetie!

NATE

Hi, Mrs. Beasley.  Thanks for taking the kids.  I would watch them, but I've got this--

MRS.BEASLEY

Don't mention it, Nate.  You've been amazing.  And, please call me Sondra.

NATE

Oh, okay, Sondra.

NATE3

Whose the new guy, Mrs. B?

(Mrs. Beasley cringes and looks at Nate. She sighs.)

MRS.BEASLEY

Nate, this is Lucy's neighbor, Nate.

NATE3

Your name is Nate too?

NATE

Yeah, that's right.  How funny!  I met another guy yesterday with that name.

NATE3

The Nates are taking over.

NATE

Yeah.

NATE3

Total Nate Domination.

NATE

DomiNATEion!

MRS.BEASLEY

Oh dear.  Let's go, Adam.

(She takes Stephen out of Nate's hands and heads for her car.)

ADAM

Bye Nate, see you later, Mr. Alligator.

NATE

In awhile, Mr. Crocodile!

NATE3

Cute kid.  You are?

NATE

Uh, Lucy's manny, um, nanny, male nanny.

NATE3

Nice!  Lucy's great.

NATE

How long have you lived here?

NATE3

Its my parents' place.  I moved back in after the wife split.  I'm in and out actually.

NATE

Yeah, sorry to hear about the marriage ending.

NATE3

Thank you, but its for the best.

NATE

So, what do you do?

NATE3

Hotel clerk by day, writer by night.

NATE

Awesome.  Written anything lately?

NATE3

It's all up here, man.

(He taps his forehead.)

The trick is getting it out.  But, yeah, I got some projects.

NATE

Awesome.  This is such an art town.  I just moved here and...you wouldn't believe it, but I got cast in this film project, a web-series.

NATE3

Rock on, man!  Who with?

NATE

Its a student project.  Girl named, uh, Ashley and--

NATE3

Ashley?

NATE

Yeah, you know her?

NATE3

I might. Last name?

NATE

You know, its kind of embarrasing but I don't know that. I should, I really should but---

NATE3

Ah, no worries. But, congrats, man. So, what you got going on tonight?

NATE

Um, actually I am sort of seeing this girl.

NATE3

Yeah?

CUTAWAY: Laura locking up the store, walking home

NATE

And, she's coming over for dinner tonight, so I should probably go.

NATE3

Nice, man.  Have fun.

Cutaway: Kiyah's house, Laura comes to the bathroom, Samantha's in the shower.

LAURA

Oh my gosh, Samantha.  You gonna be a long time?

SAMANTHA

I be long time.

LAURA

What?

SAMANTHA

Sorry, bad joke.

LAURA

Can you hurry? I've got to get ready for...tonight.

SAMANTHA

Okay, got it.

LAURA

And, don't use all the hot water.

CUTAWAY: Nate3 and Nate

NATE3

So, you need protection?

NATE

Um, no I'm good. Thanks.

NATE3

Its good to be prepared.

NATE

Yeah, of course.  Not sure if it will go that far but, she wants to take it slow.

NATE3

She's coming over, to your house, for dinner and you don't think she wants to--

NATE

Yeah, I see your point.  But, I'm good, I've got some, thanks.

NATE3

And, hopefully you will too.

NATE

Will what?

NATE3

Get some.

(They both laugh.)

Montage:Laura in the shower, shaving her legs, armpits,Nate cleaning the house, making the dinner, Laura blowdrying her hair, putting on make-up, trying different outfits, with or without samantha's approval, Nate trying different outfits

Fade into: Laura walking down the street near Lucy's house.

(Her cellphone rings and she pulls it out of her purse.)

LAURA

Hello? Mom? What's wrong? Oh my god!

Fade intO: Nate's granny unit, a few minutes later, knock at the door.

(Nate opens the door, Laura stands before him, in a state of shock.)

NATE

Hello there, Laura.

(Laura doesn't say anything.)

Is...something...wrong?

LAURA

(as if coming out of a dream)

Nate? Hi...

NATE

Laura?

LAURA

My dad...my dad's dead.

NATE

Oh my god, come in, come in.

Fade into: Nate's living room, Nate and Laura sitting on the couch together.

NATE

You need anything? Water? Wine? I don't know?

LAURA

I...I...don't know...I need to pack, Mom's buying me a ticket, got to go home for...the service and all that.

NATE

Yeah sure.

(Laura gets up and moves towards the door.)

You have to go now?

LAURA

Yeah, I'm really sorry, Nate.  I don't think I would be much fun is all.

NATE

You don't have to be.

(He crosses to her, in front of her.)

I just...want to be here for you, is all.

LAURA

Yeah?

NATE

Yeah.

(They smile at each other softly.  Nate takes Laura's hands.)

Stay?

(Laura thinks about it for a moment.)

LAURA

I wish...but I feel I have to go.

NATE

Oh, all right.  Do what you have to do.

LAURA

Thanks, Nate.  And, I'm sorry.  I really am.

NATE

Don't be.  Life happens.

(Laura turns towards the door, is about to leave, then turns back to Nate, runs to him, kisses him passionately. She pulls away and smiles at him.)

LAURA

Thank you, Nate.  You are...such a nice change.

NATE

You are welcome.

(They kiss again, this time even more passionately.  Laura breaks away, and starts moving towards the door again.)

LAURA

I'll call you, okay?

NATE

Please do.


No comments:

Post a Comment