Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Madness of The March Hare!!!!

In my prior life, I was a Butcher's wife in the slums of London in 1855.  After my husband passed, I was left with the business and our 6 little children.  With not a lot of money after the funeral expenses were paid off, I took to hunting down the local stray animals, and sometimes those pets of local families, and slaughtering them to sell.  The rich buyers of my goods always liked the best meats and finest delicacies of that fashion.  I made up names for these deceased pets or rather said they were of different animal origins...but I was being watched.  By a witch, who seeing my evil misdeeds and lying ways, punished me by magically whisking me away to this strange place I would come to know as Wonderland.

Upon arriving, my form changed from human into a sort of animal form, that of a Hare.  It was early March at the time, which prompted being called the "March Hare" by a local hatter, mad as he was, who happened to find me first, when I was wandering in the woods confused on my first day of arrival.  He took me under his guidance, or control, taught me the ways of Wonderland, shared his glue, and helped me along the path to madness.  Finally, all hope lost of ever returning to my former life and sense forgetting there ever was one, I set up house and home, building an abode whose resemblance looked uncannily liked my new physical form.  So, beautiful it was, both inside and out, that I, in my madness, decided it was too perfect to live in so set up my existence in the outside, with a lovely tea table laid out for myself and company, mainly the Mad Hatter.



One day on his walk to my house, he found a little Dormouse, stranded, soaking wet, and afraid.  He brought her to me and I took her in, sort of as a motherly role, although without any degree of affection but more out of duty or a remembrance of past child-raising.

Then, one fateful day while at a concert held in the Red Queen's honour, my madness in full swing, the Hatter made a grave error in angering Father Time while performing a song.  In punishment for this crime, he and I (for I was deemed accomplice) were whisked immediately and without any ability to protest to my tea-table for an eternal 6:00 tea time, never to move forward or even backward.


However, in my duranged mind, the sameness of life seems somehow comforting and I find peace, in some ways, with the routine, my mind doing its best to blank out the negative side-effects of my current life situation.  All seems to be going well with my life neatly arranged, always the same and what I can control until one day, one not so good day, when a little girl shows up...

Find out what happens and see more of my crazy adventures and those of my friends starting next Thursday, 11/20 at the Bellview Grange's Theatre Convivio's production of "Alice in Wonderland".

Alice In Wonderland Event Invite

Lewis Caroll's "Alice In Wonderland" is adapted by Evalyn Hansen.  It is directed by Richard Heller and stars McKenzie Baratta as Alice.  The show runs from November 20th through December 6th at Theatre Convivio in Ashland, Oregon.




No comments:

Post a Comment