Monday, April 28, 2014

The Call of The "Sirens"

Hi! My name is Lissa Adams, 20 years old.  I am a creative writing major at Southern Oregon University.  I recently completed a course of free-writing on addiction and recovery.  The teacher asked us to free-write based on some people we met that suffered through some form of addiction.  I found it interesting to write based on the perspective of my sister's best friend, Emily Jones, who suffered and overcame a gambling addiction.  Emily is 36 now but she was in her late twenties when her addiction began.

Here is her story:

I am Emily Jones and I am a compulsive gambler.  I got into gambling, on accident, as a drug to hide my insecurities and to have some form of power over my low self worth and image...but as I got more and more addicted, I lost control over my power to rule over it.

Once I admitted that I had a problem and began getting help, years of past trauma which caused the insecurities, as well as past pain, began to heal and dissipate.  I began to be and feel whole and complete.  I now feel comfortable with myself and honest with my addictions and weaknesses.  I now no how to fight it and how to remain healthy.

I realize that I didn't need to try and control what I couldn't because really there is no control or power...and in that at last I have peace.

Hi, its Lissa again!  Find out the rest of Emily's story and more about my class tonight at the Playwright's Atelier at the Ashland Library beginning at 6:30.

The Sirens' Tears is written by local playwright, Lyda Woods and includes other performers such as Maria Ciamaichelo and Lyda Woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment