Monday, April 28, 2014

Grace to a Fish

Hi, I'm Grace Woods.  I have lived on the earth 12 years old but at present I am well beyond that in years of maturity and understanding of life, both good and evil.  My mother named me Grace and she always said she is proud she did because I represent, in so many ways (even more so at present), the true definition of that word.

Here is how my story unfolds:

I am the youngest daughter of my parents, with one older brother who is 16.  I had a simple, care-free life, until recently, always having a great love for animals of all kind and also, in a way, the underdog.  I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grew up.  This is what led me to the man who came to our door looking for some yard work help.  The man's name was Albert Fish.  Because of the need I saw in this poor man, I convinced my mother to let me go with him.

On the way to his house, I was very excited and Albert seemed like such a warm, friendly fellow.  I was happy to know I was going to help him and knew in my heart I would try my best at that.  Along the way, he told me about the local plant-life and about the history of the area.  I, in turn, told him about my favorite movie stars, favorite music, and what I wanted to be when I grew up.

What happened when I got there was not what I had expected or wanted.  But, in the end, I think I accomplished my goal of helping him, even though it was not as I had planned.

See what happens tonight at the Playwright's Atelier at the Ashland Library at 6:30 pm.

Fish & Grace is based on a true story adapted into play form by an up and coming playright, Joshua Hendrickson.  The show also stars my good friend, Will Churchill, as Albert Fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment