Monday, April 28, 2014

Fighting for our "HOMS"


Hello! My name is Rasha and I am 16 years old living in Syria during a time of political unrest.  Because of family loss, I have become quite active of bringing justice and freedom to my country and my people, but especially bringing vengeance for my loved ones.

I am the youngest child with two older half brothers, but even though only 16 years of life, I feel very ancient from all the strife and suffering I have seen.  My eldest brother, Abbi, lives with his wife, Ummi, and their son, Tahu.  My second brother, Yousef, lives with me and our mutual mother.  Both of our fathers have been killed.  Because of this, Yousef is the man of the house and takes this role seriously, in his political activity he fights for our protection and freedom first and foremost.  However, in recent unrest, my mother was recently killed.

I am educated although unfortunately haven't been able to attend school for awhile due to the unsafety of current situations.  I try to stay abreast of my education in private quarters though.

Just yesterday, Yousef and I marched on the capital because of some arrests done of local school children, who were then abused.  Because of this, both he and I were arrested.  I was badly beaten and forced to look at other victims imprisoned.  I was released but told to protest no longer.  I immediately sought safety at my other brother's house, but I do not know the whereabouts of Yousef.

My own ambition at present is to ensure the safety of my brother, Yousef and the rest of my family.  My country's freedom is the last reason for continuing the fight.

Find out what happens to me tonight at the reading of this play, HOMS by local Ashland playwright, Joseph Suste at Playwrights' Atelier at the Ashland Library, beginning at 6:30 pm.

Other performers include Will Churchill, Maria Ciamaichelo, and Lyda Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment