Wednesday, June 12, 2013

All About Carry A. Nation


 Below is the character sketch I wrote based on my part in my upcoming show, The Great American Western, which opens June 21st at the Randall Theatre:


My name is Carrie Nation, but my father named me Carry Moore, as written in the family Bible. I was born on November 25 in the year of our Lord 1846, in the back country of Kentucky. My father's name was George and he owned a plantation. He held slaves of which I was reared. For example, I wasn't allowed to eat with my family until I came of age, because “children are meant to be seen and not heard”. My mother, Mary, suffered with “mental problems” and thought at times that she was a lady-in-waiting to the queen of England and then the Queen of England.

I have taught as a teacher but was fired from the position thus experiencing financial hardship. So, I married Charles Gloyd, a doctor. My parents objected and I didn't know why, until upon living with him found that he was a severe alcoholic. I left him because he was unable to to provide for the family. Together, we have a daughter, Charlien. Even though I believe children should be seen and not heard, I have a bit more hardship with her because she has emotional difficulties, similar to that of my mother's, caused by her father's alcoholism. For this reason, I have had to commit her to the Texas State Lunatic Asylum. At that time, they also tried to commit me for reasons that are not clear. Furthermore, I have decided my mission in life is to save people from the wreckage caused by alcohol abuse both emotionally and physically. This is God's calling upon my life and I will accomplish this feat by any means necessary.

Due to financial hardship and societal pressures, I have had to remarry Dr. David A. Nation. He is 19 years my senior, but in marriage I have found financial security which affords me the luxury to fulfill God's purpose for my life. He has worked as an attorney, a minister, and a newspaper editor. Our first endeavor, based on my husband's interest, was to purchase a cotton farm. This failed due to my husband's lack of experience (and my lack of interest) in farming.

We now live in Dirtwater where my husband is the preacher in Disciples of Christ church. I have started the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). I am the president and I have helped many women, including Garmaine, Maggie, and Sioux, out of the depravity of unhealthy lifestyles focusing on men and negative substances. My hope and prayer is that the rest of Dirtwater would turn from their sinful ways. In my spare time, I also volunteer as a jail evangelist and try to reform the inmates, teach Sunday School, and attend to the poor and needy.

The truth is, I have my own demons and driving spirits to contend with, based on past familial neglect and heartaches. When I first arrived in Dirtwater, I founded the temperance union and am determined to get my point across, my point is THE WAY, the ONLY WAY to living the RIGHT LIFE. However, as I push my views around and insist, quite loudly and at times violently, on others, I know deep down my heart is not well. By the time, I am arrested and jailed (for unjustified reasons, I might add), I find deliverance from my own controlling behaviors, in fact realize that such as alcohol is a force that controls some, so do am I addicted to the power of controlling others. In reality, I discover that I lack all control, which scares me more, which increases my desire to appear more and more in control. After Dallas, I realize that by relinquishing control, I not only feel a lot more at peace, but have a better way of reaching people with a message of love, not hate, and transforming their lives to freedom through forming meaningful relationships. This is what I have found now in the place I am in eternity. Saving someone doesn't require control, but allowing yourself to love them where they are at non-judgementally. I show that love at the end by buying the child, Fester, who himself has been delivered, in a sense, a football team. In short, from my time in the outer world, I have found that love is the most valuable gift we are given and can give to others.

I, Carrie Nation, (not Lia Weston) agree to be portrayed in this play in the fashion that I am because I feel that in my life on earth I went about spreading my message with hate and therefore was unsuccessful in my endeavors. I feel that by having myself made into a caricature, the true message of transformation and journey to wholeness will be shown, not just in those I want to reach but in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment