Friday, June 7, 2013

Love in the Theatre?

When I was 20 years old, a sophomore in college, trying to find myself in the world and understand what it meant to be an actual adult, I had a sexual, almost romantic, relationship (?) with my drama teacher.  I stupidly thought that that was my ticket into the dramatic world and it ended up leading me away from my dreams of the stage and stardom, bringing on an already present propensity to anxiety and depression (the beginning of the Bipolar days, pre-diagnosis). 

Dissappointed with the loss of my passion and hopes, I fell into the belief that it was a childhood fancy and not the true purpose of my existence.  But, a part of me was stifled and felt unfulfilled.  Until two years ago....two years ago I married my once upon a time sweetheart and moved back to the town of my alma-mater where I dreamed of getting my start as an actress....and finally, finally "walked the boards", as they said, and, thus, found the happiness, peace, love, acceptance of self (from self and others) that I always needed and wanted.

Along the way, my confidence in physical self increased.  I no longer care how I look because I know I am attractive.  I also have found healing emotionally from past wounds and continue to find release from these personal demons (both internal and external (see: certain individuals from California) and gained a confidence inside that enhances the outward shine.  And along the way...for whatever reason, his and mine...I watched my "once upon a time sweetheart" slip away, a very fact that I have now become resigned.  And the ol' joke is, my husband lost his wife at the theatre but, alas, the show must go on.  How? Its a mystery...

So, newly divorced, yes, a little cynical, I find some gentlemen in my film and theatre profession turning my head and catching my fancy.  The intrigue is to fall in love in the theatre with someone who also is in love with the theatre, yet am I ready for that? Am I ready for love? Do I believe in "life after love" and all of that? Am I ready to, in fact, as Taylor Swift croons "Begin Again?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXcWyzx3Tho

No comments:

Post a Comment