Tuesday, January 5, 2021

My 2020 Survival Story: When The Fire Happened By Donna Boehm

The corner of Creel and Hwy.99 in Talent, Oregon. Where the Rock Shop and so many other businesses used to be.

When The Fire Happened
A True Story by Donna Boehm

 Here's the story. I woke up during the night hearing the wind blowing furiously and thought that wasn't good. The wind continued for days and that's what made the fire grow so quickly. Somehow my home was spared, but half a mile from here, to the north, many homes are simply gone. Over 2000 in this area are gone so far. I was in Medford when the evacuation started so never did get back to the house that day. When night came my housemate and I spent the night in his car in Jacksonville. We had planned to spend the night at his girlfriend's house in Medford but even that area was evacuated. That was pretty miserable. Next day we returned to her house. Lots of people in cars in parking lots along the way. We were there from Wednesday until I returned home on Monday. We did manage to get through roadblocks by taking back roads into Talent twice, first to get clothes and food from the freezer. and the second time to clean out the fridge. Power/water were off.


Margie's home is small and there are three cats and a big dog there. I did have a fold out bed in her sewing room. She was so good to us! She also had room on her property for a small trailer and a young couple and small child who lost everything were moving in as I was moving back home. I was able to make dinner for everyone the days I was there. I liked that! I wanted to do something to help, even if it was only dinner!

It was a very confusing time. Not knowing what was going on, watching tv hoping for some news, depending on whatever info Margie got from her large circle of friends all over the area. It was through her that we found out we could get into Talent the back way! I'm aware there has been much chaos for so many. My experience is not close to that.

I just wanted so much to get back to the house. I felt disconnected. Things seemed surreal. But I never panicked or got depressed. I'm sure all that time spent in mindfulness classes helped! It was so good to be home when I did get here!

The smoke was so bad! It's beginning to shift but it will probably be a few days before we see blue sky again. When the wind finally did stop, it's been still ever since.

A lot of downtown Talent is gone. Some buildings were over a hundred years old. To me, that was part of the charm of Talent. I know there will be a lot of information about what really happened around here moving forward.

I've come to realize how important the little things are. How people will show up for each other. How many have written to ask how I'm doing! Driving around Talent I saw several places where people had put bottles of water out for anyone to take. Other communities are organizing to get clothing and household items to people who have lost everything.

Backstage Diva describes Donna because that's usually where she has been found when working with many theatre companies and the opera in the Rogue Valley. Costumes, stage managing, props, dresser, and assisting whenever necessary keep her engaged with her passion for creating and working with so many talented teams that light up the stages of this amazing theatre community. She's impatiently waiting for those lights to start shining again!

Submit your "2020 Survival Story" to cafegirlproductions@gmail.com.  

The Thriving Artist is a subset of Cafe-Girl Productions, Inc, a film and media production company. 
Find out more information about Cafe-Girl Productions, Inc at:

No comments:

Post a Comment