Thursday, December 15, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met



Act Two, Scene One

Interior: Bar, Nate standing at table with Kiyah & Laura.

NATE

Do you remember me?

LAURA

Yeah, um, the car, right?

NATE

Yeah, that's right.

LAURA

Did you ever get that fixed or...?

NATE

Its in the shop right now.

KIYAH

Have a seat, Nate!

(She moves so he can sit next to her.  Nate sits across from Laura.)

LAURA

It's not Benjamin's shop, is it?

NATE

A friend of Lucy's--

LAURA

Ugh, Benjamin!

NATE

Yeah, he seems like quite the guy.

(Door opens. Ashley, a small twenty-something Asian American, enters.)

ASHLEY

Hi guys!!!!

KIYAH

Ashley's here!

LAURA

Hi Ashley!

ASHLEY

Guess who just aced her math test?

KIYAH AND LAURA

Congratulations!

KIYAH

This calls for celebration.  Drinks all around!

(Kiyah and Ashley head to the bar to order.)

LAURA

You want something?

NATE

Yeah, I could do that. You?

LAURA

Kiyah's buying for me, this round.  Thanks.

(Nate stands, starts to leave, then stops.)

NATE

Laura, I saw you...

LAURA

Saw me?

NATE

Earlier today with...never mind.

(He leaves to get a drink.  Kiyah and Ashley come back with drinks in hand.  Kiyah carries two rum and cokes, Ashley carries one.  Kiyah sets in front of Laura.  Laura glances over her shoulder at Nate, ordering.  She looks at Kiyah, eyebrows raised.)

KIYAH

Oh, I know.  I know.  Lucy lucked out in the manny selection.

LAURA

Wonder how Eddie feels about that!

ASHLEY

Wait, what are you guys talking about?

KIYAH

That's Nate.  Lucy's new manny.

ASHLEY

Manny?

KIYAH

Male nanny?

(Laura stands with drink and crosses over to Nate.)

Exterior: Nate and Laura at the bar.

NATE

Hi...

LAURA

So...

NATE

So?

LAURA

You said, you saw me?

NATE

Yeah, with--

(Bartender approaches hands drink to Nate, Nate takes it, thanks him.)

You want to go find a place to talk, in private?

LAURA

Yeah, sure, I'd like that.

Interior: Backroom of bar.  Nate and Laura sit together on couch.

So, you saw me?

NATE

Yeah, you were with that guy, your boyfriend--

LAURA

Ex.

NATE

You broke up?

LAURA

Just.

NATE

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that.

LAURA

Really?

NATE

Okay, from what I saw today, maybe I'm not.

LAURA

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying.

NATE

So, what now?

LAURA

I don't know, move in with Kiyah, I guess.  Be by myself, learn to love myself, appreciate being alone, you know the drill.

NATE

The drill?

LAURA

The drill.  Every time you break up with someone its always, "I am just going to be by myself for awhile" and all that crap.  I mean, you mean well but then something happens, someone comes along and there you are right back at the beginning.

NATE

Right back at the beginning.

LAURA

Yeah, that.

(Their eyes meet.)

So, about Nate?

NATE

About me?

LAURA

What's your story?

NATE

My story? I just moved here, new job, new life, new...beginning.

(Laura laughs.)

LAURA

Really? New beginning?

NATE

Oh yeah, really.

LAURA

You left someone behind?

NATE

No, she left me.  Now she wants me back.

LAURA

Oh, lame.  I feel you, man.

(She raises her glass to his, they toast.)

To dumping the assholes!

(They toast.  Nate takes a sip of his drink, ponders.)

NATE

Yeah.  I wouldn't call her an asshole...just confused.  I mean, she's just 24, but has never had a boyfriend before so I can't really blame her for...you know, cheating on me.  I mean, she hasn't had time to explore, I guess...

CLOSE UP:Laura's face, listening.

MEDIUM: Laura listening to Nate talking.

(A bell is heart ringing.  Laura looks around, sees a bell medium sized on the floor before her.  She looks around, Nate continues talking inaudibly, no one else notices bell.  She looks at Nate.  It rings louder and louder and louder.  She gasps, shakes her head violently. She gets up, tries to pick bell up but it is too heavy.  She starts kicking it, she hurts her foot.  She starts shoving pillows inside of it.  Finally the bell becomes muffled. She sits back down on couch and everything returns to normal around her.)

NATE

So, you know, I guess I'm just trying to figure out life right now, what I want, who I am.  You know, the drill.

LAURA

Yeah.

(Laura gulps down a big sip of her drink.)

The drill.



No comments:

Post a Comment